Youngstown Schmoungstown

So how is it possible to top off a week full of good workouts?

Go out and get your 20+ miler in for Boston training of course!

This was week one of Steelhead training and we are three weeks out from Boston. After a week of completely no workouts I came back with a vengeance and worked out for at least 30 minutes every day this week.

Today was my first 20 for Boston. I missed the scheduled 20 last week so I made it up today and if my legs are up to it I will do my second 20 next Sunday and then 2 weeks of taper.

Felt pretty drained this morning starting out. I had to get up at 4:45 AM to get around and get down to Peninsula by 6:30. The run started at 7 but I was supposed to pick up A at 6:30 and take her to the start so she would only have to run 13. (Turns out she slept in) I got to the start of the run at 6:50 with 10 minutes to spare. It felt pretty cold out so I had on a short sleeve and long sleeved tech plus jacket. And my underarmour fleece pants. We stood around for a little bit and waited for S to bring the directions for the loop. Vertical Runner organized this run as a good prep route for Boston. It was all out on the roads through Boston Heights and Peninsula.

Chatted with EM and she claimed that she was taking it easy today 8:30 pace. That sounded doable to me, maybe a little quick but I would see if I could hang. We headed out, there was a pretty big group many doing 13 and the rest doing 20. I started out with the lead group but realized about a mile in that they were not really planning on running 8:30 pace so I eased off. Hung with a few runners I know through SERC for another few miles than eased off even more. I was tapped. Completely energyless. I knew this was going to be a LONG run!

The first water stop was at 5 miles and I drank some pink GU20 and had a tropical blast gel. Ran to the bathroom then joined up with J and his friend J. She sounded like she wanted to take it easy too and that sounded just fine to me. About a mile into running with J and J we hit the first real hill. Which is an understatement. I loudly announced to all around "There are NO hills like this in Boston!" This was a freaking WALL! As I was already feeling tapped I let J know I was walking this one. No need to waste energy I was going to need for all the hills still to come. So we walked up that hill! Started to feel better a little ways after that hill (Other J had dropped us at the hill and he was flying away) so we picked up pace a bit and fell into conversation about races we have done etc.

The next water stop came pretty quickly maybe around 9 miles? J mentioned that it felt like we were on a scavenger hunt. We had printed out directions and it was a little exciting to "find" the next water stop :) I drank some more of the GU20 stuff and grabbed a tropical blast gel. For some reason I ripped off the tab but then decided it was too soon to take it. So I ran with that gel all the way to the next stop at 13. We caught up to some of the runners who had dusted us on the hill. It was a lot of rolling down hills now and I was trying to cruise. The whole point being to shred my quads and see how I fared up the hills later. (Hey this is whats going to happen in Boston!) J stayed with me and we picked up a male runner who wanted to blaze down the hills too.

We reached 13 (Suprisingly quickly, somewhere around 1:50:00) and I stopped and drank some water and finally took that gel. J headed out on her own for a few miles out and back while I continued on the 20 mile loop. I caught up to a small group of runners as we headed out. Pretty much right away we hit another wall and I walk this and the next hill too. (2 in a row both at a seriously nasty grade) The road was Hines Hill road, it should have been called Hines Hills road because the next 3 miles or so were all at least slightly uphill and this was a rough patch. I ran this stretch by myself keeping my eye on a small group in front of me. I thought I was all bad ass for running Youngstown Half. I tell you what those hills were a joke compared to the three walls we had to run today.

We hit the Bike and Hike trail around 2:20 and the last water stop. I tryed a new gel flavor, Hammer Gel apple cinnamon, not too bad, tasted like Apple Crisp. I had some GU20 mixed with water and I headed out with the guy who had been running in front of me. This was a flat stretch so we picked up the pace and discussed Boston plans and past races, splits, etc. We got to where he thought we should turn but I wasn't sure, the directions weren't clear here unless you knew the area so we jogged back to the next group of runners and asked them and sure enough thats where we turned. Got onto 303 and headed back to the start. Asked V how far he clocked on his Garmin as it seemed short to me (I was thinking maybe only 18) and he said 19.25. I was at 2:43:19 here so 8:30 pace. Not too shabby. I wanted to get in the full 20 so I headed out onto the trails (after ditching my jacket and short sleeved tech, they had been shedded at the first water stop) and ran a short loop for 27 minutes (about 2 miles). So I am calling it 21.25 miles. Average pace around 9:00.

I was drenched by the end and my shoes and pants were trashed from the trails (extremely muddy out). The Mizuno Wave Riders aren't gonna cut it on the trails. The whole heel was full of mud by the end of the short trail run.

After the first 5 miles or so I felt pretty good today. I felt strong out on the trails which was a good mental boost for JFK. I felt like I could have kept running so that is good. My legs are a little sore but are feeling better after moving around a bit. The calf didn't bother me at all today!

Went out to breakfast with V and his wife afterwards. I was starving, or so I thought. I ordered blueberry pancakes, eggs, and toast. I had to box half the pancakes and I just enjoyed those for dinner. I felt that my stomach had betrayed me, I mean I ran over 21 miles, I should be able to eat whatever I wanted! ;)

The only thing bothering me today is my middle finger on my left hand. I think I jacked it riding yesterday. It is just sore and hard to move, definitely not broken though because I can bend it. Can you strain your finger? Anyways I feel bad complaining because I just got off the phone with Su and she took a few spills on the bike this weekend and fared much worse than I did. Thankfully she is okay but a bit scraped up and pretty bruised.

David is hanging with the boys this weekend so I have been on my own. I got in a nice nap yesterday and today after my workouts! Gotta love weekend naps! So just me and the cats are hanging out. Hope everyone had good weekends!


1st 12 miles elevation profile of Sundays Run



Quick Stats for week one of Steelhead Training and Week 9 of Boston Training
M-1500 yard swim
T- 5.75 miles on the track
W- 50 minute spin and 1 mile run on tread
Th-5 miles easy run
F-1500 yard swim
Sat-SimplyStu Tri 450 yard swim, 15 mile bike, 3 mile run
Sun-21.25 Hilly Miles
Total Hours for the week: 8:20:00

14 comments:

Cory said...

Penninsula's pretty, especially on a rainy day. I ate lunch at some quaint hamburger joint down there. I wish I could remember.

Youngstown takes getting used to, but as they say "It has potential". I do here they are moving death row up there.

Hmmmm.

EostreEgg said...

Having seen the hills of Peninsula many a time... Damn, girl! Even the "flat" parts are secretly hills, warping space-time to disguise themselves. You go!

Also, I can just bet how you injured your middle finger. Temper, temper, young lady! :0P

Janet Edwards said...

Wow, what a solid weekend of training. What a respectable time you finished your 20 in, considering the walls and other hills you dealt with...I cannot imagine ones more punishing than Ytown!

psbowe said...

Wow, great job on pulling through on that long run, more than 21 miles! Incredible!

Cliff said...

You did simply stu's tri in one day :)..nuts :D

That's great. I just put it as my training.

Next time u should bring some climbing rope when you face the wall :)

Rae said...

Great run!!! The elevation/hills sound absolutely dreadful! Great job on sticking with your pace and getting the run in. I can't believe Boston is so close!

Toasty said...

They say hills are our friends ..... or speed work in disguise ..... "they" say it I don't .... i cannot repeat what i call hills as offensive language would not be appropriate ..... that was a great lead up to Boston, good for you.

Anne said...

Whew. I'm tired just reading about that hilly run. You were smart to walk the steep ones. Too many times I've ruined it by charging up a hill, only to fade badly when things flatted out at the end. Good for you!

Unknown said...

Walking the hills is a good thing in ultra's. Remember that. Nice job on the run.

Backofpack said...

Nice run, good prep for Boston.

Scott said...

Sounds like a great week Elizabeth.

qcmier said...

I love training in the CVNP. Ironic your training run for Boston started by the Boston store. I think you ran up Oak Hill. Good job. We do some rides in the summer time up that slope. Scary thing is there are some hills down there that are more painful than that...

Mike said...

Damn- that was a SOLID run! nuff said

BuckeyeRunner said...

You are a machine, girl! Great workouts, and nice recap of your 20 miler. I never seem to remember much of my runs over 18 miles -- I think I go brain dead, or something.
I am excited for you and Boston! OLN will be broadcasting it live - I am going to TIVO it, and look for you!!
Anyway, nice training!