Triumphant? start

I went and got a membership at a local gym. The pool isn't fantastic but it will serve its purpose. Plenty of lap time despite only three lanes. Tonight I was the only one there for more than 5 minutes and had a lane all to myself.

Looks like there may be a few more flotsams and jetsams here though!

The pool is supposedly 25 yards. I want to measure it because I feel like I should have been slower tonight. Maybe I just used to take a lot more rest... I know I felt a lot slower than the splits were showing.

I always get dizzy the first time back in the pool after time off. No clue what that is about, but I was glad that base training started off with a light swim. (I must admit though that 1450 yards did seem somewhat anticlimactic after doing 4000+ just a month ago) There is lots of time before August to build up to that though.

I was supposed to do 1500 tonight but going back through the workout in my head I realized I am horrible at math in the pool and only got in 1450. (It may have been 1500 as I may have done a 450 yard warm up but I prefer to err on the side of less) Several reasons I lost count on the warm up: I was a little thrown off by being the only person in the pool, very obviously the only visual target for the lifeguard. The pool temp was a little warm for my taste. I swear that on the way down the lane I was swimming against a current, the little jet thingy was in my lane and I think it was a little powerful for its purpose. My contact was driving me crazy and my depth perception was off a bit. I missed two flip turns in a row and then stopped to fix my contact. The lifeguard called out to see if I was okay, haha. "yes just put in my contact backwards" don't mind the silly triathlete who hasn't been in a pool since February!

Next time I need to bring a workout plan. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get in a swim tonight and figured I would wing it.

Stats:
1450 yd swim 28 minutes

warm up
400 yd

Drills
50 catch up
50 fingertip
50 slow arm recovery
50 fist
50 rotate kick
2*25 head down/ 25 free

Main Set
5*100 with 15 second rests
1:33.86
1:35.17
1:37.32
1:38.60
1:37.74

Cool Down
50 yd breast
150 yd

7 comments:

qcmier said...

I'm sad you won't be joining me in the long course pool, but you've got to do what you've got to do. Hey with you not there that means I got three lanes all to myself =)

Bolder said...

did i ever mention at my club 'da club' there are NO lifeguards!

EVAH!!

so, i've never been ogled :(

p.s. i get dizzy in the pool all the time, if you figure it out, let me know.
p.p.s. i stole Jem from you for tomorrow's post
p.p.p.s. GO TIGERS! I was a big Sparky Anderson/Kirk Gibson/Alan Trammell/Sweet Lou Whittaker kinda-guy... oh yah, and don't forget Ernie Harwell -- a legend.

Trisaratops said...

Great swim! My pool was packed today and I got whacked in the face by some 70 year old dude! Ah, the sacrifices we make...hee hee :)

Cliff said...

Pool for yourself..sweet :)...that's like a dream come true :D

Papa Louie said...

I better not swim next to you. You are smoking in the pool. Good for you.

Janet Edwards said...

Finally a new place for you to swim-Congrats!

I am so thankful we don't have a lifeguard at our pool b/c I am certain they would have plenty of laughs over my dumb moves! Graceful, I am not!

Hollyfish said...

Nice swim!! If you need any practices check out my coach's website www.goswim.tv
She ususally posts our masters practices (CCB Masters, now UV Rays Masters) and they're often geared toward triathletes...
http://www.goswim.tv/pMachinePro/forum/forum.php?which=mastersp

Keep up the good work!!