TNT Run

As many of you know I am currently a mentor for the Northern Ohio chapter of Team in Training. As a mentor I try to keep up to date on my "mentees" fundraising and training efforts. I also go to the group runs to help make sure that everyone has someone to run with. Today I got to go long! I kept R company for 17 miles. About an hour more than I needed to run but it was fun. I am so happy that I can just decide to run an extra hour one day and not have it throw a wrench in my training. I love these little legs of mine!

It was a good 17 miles. Most of it around 9 minute miles. At the end R needed to ease off a bit and we did a few walk breaks but I wasn't concerned since I was way over the 1:50 Hal and on tap for me this weekend.

So I haven't completely given up on the Cliff Bloks now. I tried the strawberry and cran razz today. The cran razz is out but the strawberry may have some potential.

I was really stupid today and forgot to take any gels so I ran the whole 17 on gatorade and a few pretzels. It wasn't a real issue other than the last mile or so my calves were threatening to cramp. It was pretty humid out today and I should have been taking in more electrolytes for sure. Lesson learned :) I also forgot about the bruises my fuel belt leaves on my hips after so many miles. OUCH!

Since I didn't get much nutrition during the run I headed over to Panera. OMG their hazelnut cream cheese is to die for! YUM!

Hopefully all those doing Malachi this morning had fun!

Tomorrow I am running in Solon with A. Probably only 8 miles with a few tempo miles thrown in for good measure. I considered getting out on the bike but I think I will wait until after the fitting.

Tonight we are going out for David's best friend's Birthday. Never been to the restaurant or bar. Hopefully they are nice and not too smoky.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love unplanned long runs. Keep experimenting with the food and I thought Mike's suggestions of the ensure before the run was a great idea as well.

Ensure, it's not just for old people anymore.

Legs and Wings said...

Wow, a nice little Saturday run of 17 MILES!

Cliff said...

Reply to your previous post...my stomach pretty good at handling anything.

Last morning i had 7 gel of Carb-boom. I have no clue what the taste is. My taste buds is horrible. I jsut grab the bottle off the shelve. I think it is some tangerine flavour or something.

I haven't had a chance ot give the Clif Bloks a shot. Might do so in the future...

Despite my love for Clif products (for obvious reasons), I still believe, go with what works for you....if cream cheese works for u on the run...DO IT :D.

Trisaratops said...

Malachi was fun--and I didn't race too hard---Yay!!!!!!!! Su helped to keep me in line! :) First few miles were a bit fast, but the cramp I got and almost hurling peanut butter served me right. hee hee Great run yesterday! Gotta love this weather--snow is coming on TUESDAY???!!! WTF??!!!

Anne said...

I'm so impressed that you can just tack on an extra hour of running like that. It sounds like you're a wonderful mentor for your TNT group.

Rae said...

Great job on the 17! I think my hips have permanent indentions from the Fuel Belt! I also hate when I forget to Body Glide and it ends up chafing me.

Keep up the great running!