Speedwork in Disguise

Yep got out for my last official Boston hill repeat workout tonight. Went something like this:

Total 52 minutes ~5.5 miles

10 minute warm up

8 Hill Repeat, 3 down (up/down) *= hard down
1:36.91/1:55.48
1:41.1/1:23.40*
1:40.52/2:05.12
1:42.19/1:27.55*
1:40.62/2:07.7
1:42.63/1:25.90*
1:37.26/2:08.41
1:33.81

16 minute cool down

I didn't feel bad and I didn't feel great. I was going to cut Hal's planned hill workout since it seemed opposite of "taper" in my mind, but I did not feel great on the hills during my 21 milers so I decided to keep the hills on tap.

Glad I did. I went out too hard on the first hill for sure as I wanted to either stay even or negative split the hills tonight. But both the 1:36 and the 1:37 there was a group of walkers on the hill, guess I am a show off.

I was already ready to blog about how shittily I did on the hill repeats after the second uphill but I toughed it out and did all 8 and I think I did it respectably. No clue where the 1:33 came from. I really pushed it on the bottom and crest on that one and I guess that made the difference.

Anywho back to Saturday's run.

B2 and I got out at 6:30 AM in NCres to tackle some hills and get in our last long run before official taper began.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=102403

I had mapped out 21 miles on GMAP pedometer on some loops that I knew would take us up some pretty bad ass hills but allow for recovery on the flats. Thankfully I confused Rogers and Sherman roads. If I had taken us up Sherman I don't know that we would have survived. Instead we came down it which was still pretty killer around mile 14. (Think running downhill at about a 70+% grade)

GMAP pedometer seems to be pretty accurate. B2 had his Garmin which crapped out just shy of mile 12 but up through 11 it was always just short of what GMAP had so we are calling the whole run 21 miles.

Running with B2 is nice. I don't know too many speedsters who will hold back to do a long run with those slower than them. He did dust me on all the hills though as I proclaimed every time "See you at the top." It is amazing how much ground he can gain on me in that short time span.

My stomach was not happy most of the run. I made two bathroom trips but didn't solve anything. I guess I am lucky because my whole digestive system just kind of shuts down for long runs. The problem is it still feels wonky but nothing bad will happen. Around 12 I thought I was going to lose my breakfast for sure. Nothing though.

The run went well and I think we averaged around 8:45 pace. I didn't walk any hills this time around :) But I definitely didn't feel as strong as I did in Youngstown.

At the finish of the run I was pretty tired but no pain or discomfort and I wasn't walking funny like I typically do after 18+ milers. I guess my body is getting used to this long distance stuff. Despite spending a lot of time in the car directly after the run my legs were fine on Sunday. None of the typical trouble walking up or down stairs. Kind of scary. I think this may also be contributed to the fact that I have been drinking chocolate milk non-stop since research came out showing it was more beneficial than gatorade after a workout. (But that's just a theory)

So I was a little disappointed that I didn't feel as good as I did the week before at the end of the run, but realistically despite my legs feeling recovered from the previous Sunday's 21 miler they most likely were not and I should just be happy that I was able to blow through another 21 relatively easily. Here's hoping the shorter long run this weekend and lighter mileage will leave me with energy to spare at mile 21 in Boston as I crest Heartbreak Hill!

Wow I am beat. Baby shower pictures to come soon. (PS we broke out the grill tonight and had Rib Steaks, DELICIOUS!)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job on the hills and the long run. Enjoy the taper.

Toasty said...

I am reading, reading, reading and then ... "Shower pictures to come soon" ... Good for you, we shouldn't be ashamed of our bodies.

EostreEgg said...

1) Good luck at Boston! Although with all the training you've done, luck is not a factor.

2) I'm super-envious of your grill. I *knew* that David wouldn't be able to wait until the hot summer weather to try that bad boy out.

3) Maybe I just have a dirty mind (maybe?), but you might want to preface "Shower pictures" with something like "Baby". Some of us may get the wrong idea. :0P

Anne said...

You are so lucky not to be plagued with GI/bathroom issues during your runs. Sounds like you are definitely ready for Boston!

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy, but I bet you'll be just fine after Heartbreak Hill.

Rae said...

Great job on the hills and the long run, they sound brutal!

I can't believe Boston is getting so close. Enjoy the taper!

The baby shower looks like fun! You'll have to tell us if it ends up being a boy or a girl. I hope you win since so many people picked girl!