Don't Panic

Come on Down...
and help me figure out what the hell went wrong today.

Decided to swim during lunch break to break up the day today. Had my new swimsuit and goggles in tow. (Both of which worked wonderfully. I got the speedo women's vanquisher goggles, clear. I switched out the nosepiece to the smallest one it came with. They didn't fog or leak at all.)

I got in my 2000 yard workout in just shy of 40 minutes.

warm up
200 warm up
100 catch up drill
100 slow arm recovery
100 fingertip drill
2*150 (50 slow arm, 50 head down, 50 sprint)
100 backstroke

main set
4*200 20 second rest
3:13
3:19
3:17
3:12 (Interestingly enough I started humming the SOS song in my head during this last 200 and that seemed to help get me back on pace)

cool down
100 back
200 free

Got out of the pool and headed for the locker room. Major dizziness and headache getting out of the shower. I stopped and drank from the fountain then attempted to get dressed. Every time I attempted to do something my heart would start racing and my hands got all clammy. I felt like I wanted to vomit. After sitting on the locker room floor for what seemed like an eternity I got up and bought some M&Ms from the machine, thinking some nutrition (using the term loosely) would help. No go. Somehow I managed to drive myself home. David gave me some Gatorade and I slept it off. For like 2 hours. We just got done eating dinner and watching Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I am feeling a bit better now. Still have a headache. I have absolutely no clue what happened today or why. But it was incredibly scary considering I was only in the pool for 40 minutes.

Let's hope my immune system is just revolting from the marathon still. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

20 comments:

Bolder said...

vanquishers!

no idea what that was about? hope you are feeling better now.

read the books, never saw the movie -- did you like it?

onepinkfuzzy said...

wow, that sounds like the panic attacks I've gotten in the past! I hope you figure it out soon.

Brooke said...

The only time I had episodes like that is when I was pregnant....

Iron Jayhawk said...

Yikes! Hopefully you bounce back soon. There was a period of time where I'd be dizzy and lightheaded right after runs. Definitely scary...

Backofpack said...

Dehydration? Low blood sugar? Yikes! It is a little scary. Hope you are better soon.

Remco said...

That is scary! Take care of yourself. Chances are it is still a reaction on the marathon, but better be carefull

Hope your feeling better.

Toasty said...

I'm no expert here. low sugar levels and dehydration come to mind. Running a marathon for me is more of a strain than I realize. Whilst I feel Ok, the body is in a major repair the damage mode. I hope to read you have bounced back quickly.

Unknown said...

I am sure there is a physiological explanation for what happened. I have had instances like that as well and it seems like it usually comes from an accumulation of exertion and lack of nutrition. I am no expert, but I know how you probably felt.

P.S. Yes, do not follow my example of how to run a 50 miler by the one I just ran. I will try to give you a better example on June 3rd when I shoot for negative splits. Just had to test the boundaries on this one.

Cliff said...

Sorry girl. I have not expereince dizziness and headaches like that before..i do hpoe you feel better.

So humming SOS song help huh? I will give that a go next time I am in the pool.

I was doing sets of 200 today (one set with pull, one set just swim), I notice when I take my break (1 min), my heart is racing. I close my eyes and i can barely keep myself from standing straight.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy..i never read the book..quite funny though.

Rae said...

Rest up! Maybe you're just fighting off a bug.

I can't believe you guys still have tulips and daffodils! Our have bloomed and moved on weeks ago. I actually cut all the dead green stuff left behind last weekend. We've got roses coming out our wazoo now!

Janet Edwards said...

Wow, that does not sound good. Hope you are feeling better today!

M&M's = Quality Nutrition :-)

Lora said...

Did you eat anything beforehand? Sounds like a hypoglycemic attack. Keep gatorade at the poolside next time. Lack of salt sounds like the culprit.

As my Grandmother used to say, "Essen, kinderlich, essen!" (Eat, children, eat!)

Trifrog said...

All good advice. Was this a 'hard' swim for you? dietary may come in to play when considering what, when and how much you ate the night before; what, when, and how much that morning; and again, what, when, and how much before your workout. You did say lunchbreak, right?

Hope your feeling better today [Tuesday].

That is an awesome song and sampling of 'Tainted Love'. When I heard it last week, I searched Yahoo! Unlimited Music and found a dozen or more covers of the original Soft Cell version. Including Marilyn Manson & Pussycat Dolls, I listened to all of them before heading to work.

Brian said...

Hope you're back to your old self today! Great swim though! You need to throw a few pointers my way!

E-Speed said...

Nice catch on the Tainted Love beats, Brian. I totally missed that!

Feeling a bit better this morning. Still a little hazy.

A. M. Mericsko said...

Get better soon! You are super woman!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Wow - your swim workout is alot more than mine!

I hope you get to feeling better soon...and thanks for the comments you've been leaving me!!! It is helping already!

Trisaratops said...

HEY!!!!! Agh! Haven't even had a freaking SECOND to tell you how much you KICKED ASS in Boston!!!! :) :) :) Great job!!! Hope the weirdness is done...sometimes I have those symptoms after a really really hard swim, but not in a while though--wish I had some advice for ya! The pics of your flowers are GORGEOUS!

qcmier said...

I had a nasty spell lke yours a while back. Still not sure what caused it. Yeah it was pretty spooky.

Hope it turns out to be nothing for you. Great weekend pics.

Lynne said...

I am glad you are feeling better. I have had similar things happen to me when I have exercised a lot. People often forget that they sweat when they workout in a pool so they lose electorlytes.