Dreadmill Poll

Had a rough weekend. I am usually pretty chipper but sometimes the world just gets to me. I had a very hard time getting out the door this weekend. I just wasn't feeling up to anything. I don't really know what set that off, David thinks maybe nutrition. The whole schedule change in order to do swim camp may have also been a factor I guess.

Regardless I am feeling a bit better now and hopefully will be back on track with training this week. I did manage to get my 14 miler in yesterday. I didn't get out to the group run. I ended up running by myself at E.C.R. with my mp3 player in the snow and wind. It was a decent run even though the trail is only 2.5 miles so it was a lot of out and back. I did get hills in since the reservation is basically 2.5 uphill one way. I did the yoga poses from this months Runners World Saturday night and Sunday before my run. I think that helped to center me a bit. I definitely have lost some flexibility since high school. So I think I will try to incorporate those as my "stretch" routine from now on.

In light of me not wanting to face the world sometimes and that my husband wants to start a fitness routine we are going to get a dreadmill. This way if I have a hard time getting out the door (or the weather doesn't allow for an outdoor run) I can still get in my run, and my husband can walk/jog on the dreadmill while I spin on the trainer. (The reason I haven't been on the bike the past few weeks is that Nashbar sent out a "recall" of sorts and I am waiting for them to send a part. Apparently some of the models have a part that may give out causing the bike to detach from the trainer.)

Now the question is what dreadmill should we purchase? We are on a budget. I really would like to spend between $400-800. But I also would rather spend a bit more and get something of quality that will fulfill both of our needs, rather than low ball and get something that I won't run on. So for all you dreadmill owners out there what do you recommend? What do you have, what do you like about it, dislike? (Zeke I know you did major research on this!)

12 comments:

Chad said...

Check out thesereviews.

On that budget go for motor and warranty over bells and whistles. You don't need a bunch of pre-programed settings, HRM readings, etc.

If possible, run on it before buying. My first treadmill went from 8:50 pace to 7:50 pace when I went from 7.1 to 7.2 mph. WTF?

Hope that helps.

Steven said...

Look at Costco for treadmills. They sometimes carry real brands like Precor and Lifefitness at decent prices. I don't know if you can find one in the price range you are looking for, but it's worth a looksy. Good luck shopping!

Cliff said...

Pls give us a review of what the dreadmill u guys decided on. My mom wants to get one as well.

I hope you feel better..maybe it is the weather...

Unknown said...

I hestitate to say anything, but I've had my Nordic Track treadmill for about five years, with only one tuneup necessary. There, I just cursed it.

I odviously don't need one to be as precise as you would, but it's worked fine on both incline and speed.

The motor has held up well - and keep in mind I've weighed as much as 240 when I was lifting hard.

Just my experience. Maybe I got the one good one out of the bunch.

Last thought - you might want to check a local gym. My sister grabbed an amazing deal on an industrial machine because they were rotating them out ...

Lynne said...

I dont own one but I hve researched them a little bit. I remember them telling me that people who run on them put a lot of force on the tread part so they need stronger motors and more durable construction. It was recommended to me that as a fat person, I should consider buying a treadmill designed for runners. *shrug*

What about a used treadmill? I know all kinds of people buy them and then never use them. My mom got a decent one for only a couple of hundred bucks at a garage sale.

BuckeyeRunner said...

We just got a mill last year at "Play it Again Sports" in North Olmsted, which has used sports gear of all kinds, but they also carry new treadmills, and we were able to get a Horizon treadmill, 2.0 horsepower motor, which has worked out for us nicely. The costco idea was a good one, too. And my husband laughed at me, but the treadmills the show on Home Shopping Network look nice, and are reasonably priced. (my husband wanted to run on it first, though, so that nixed the HSN idea.)
Good luck!!

Iron Jayhawk said...

If you can find a place to do Bikram Yoga, you'll be amazed at how flexible you'll get in such a short period of time.

I just noticed you're going for the Chicago Marathon, too! Hopefully I'll have a chance to meet you then. I'm thinking about doing a post-race bbq for any RBFers who are interested...only problem is our condo is a bit on the small side...

Josh Dysart said...

Dreadmill! That cracks me up! So true, so true. Wish I had some new advice with you, but I agree with what's already been said.

Bolder said...

my treadmill is from Vision Fitness, it's a T9600, if you come across one of those, i'd recommend it...

ok, reading both your, and Curly Su's account of swimcamp, I definitely think THAT is it.

swimcamp doesn't jive with what i've been thinking about re triathlon training.

Scott said...

I hate you. I have been living with the delusion that my cats are the most beautiful on the planet. More importantly, Their Royal Highnesses are not happy that they have such competition.

Anyway with respect to your planned treadmill purchase, if you can avoid it, don't go cheap. Go sturdy at all costs and avoid the foldaways. I agree with Zeke that you don't need the programs. I only ever use the manual settings on mine. Finally, be very suspicious of built in heart rate monitors - they are not accurate.

Feel better!

Okolo said...

I've got a NordicTrack E2500 that I have no complaints about.

I agree with other comments, the programs aren't necessary, but the power, for when you get down to a 6 minute mile, is.

Rae said...

We bought a cheap one and next go around I am definately going to be an expensive, gym quality one. The prob with the cheaper ones is they don't have a motor strong enough to really handle speed, and the belt is too short and not wide enough to allow your natural form.

There's a Life Fitness one at our gym I LOVE. They also have a Precor one that I'm not crazy about but a coworker loves! Both of them are ancient so they've def held up well.

This weekend on FSN at 12 CST "Running" comes on. I have my TiVo set on a season pass for that show and this time it's a recap of the PF Chang race in Arizona. I'm not sure if you have that channel but if you do I thought you might want to know!

TGIF!