A different kind of camp

This post does not really cover the usual fare. I apologize to all running readers expecting a workout report. This one is more for the family and friend readers whom I often neglect.

So don't laugh, but this week is Spouse Camp! That's right! Goals are to spend more quality time with my husband. Without this man who knows where my flighty self would get off to. He is my rock!

So far this week spouse camp has been great. And as a bonus I have still gotten in a few workouts ;) Tonight I think I am ditching Master Swim Class. Getting home at 10:30 PM is just ridiculous. I am opting instead for just a run around the neighborhood. Hals plan is for mostly easy runs this week so that shouldn't be too difficult.

Last night I was quite the domestic diva! I managed to shovel the drive, clean dishes, and start dinner all before my husband got home! And on top of that while making dinner my husband and I got to be romantic and dance in our living room. (Which is Perfect for dancing mind you, have I mentioned I love living in our new house, and I especially love my wood floors!) We played with the kitties and chatted while David helped my sis with her German paper via AIM. Then we just spent some quality "us" time.

After all that I still managed to wake up this morning and make breakfast :) I am quite pleased with myself. Tonight I might actually let my husband teach me how to participate in his fave hobby, gasp, that's right folks I am going to get introduced to the dark side, 40k! The plan for Saturday is to go down to Canton with the boys who will be playing 40k all day long. I plan on spoiling myself with some much needed new clothes so I will be going shopping, but will probably have to play at least one game with the guys. I have been promised a fridge full of my favorite beer in return! Looking forward to having R in. I need to make sure to open the baffle to let some warm air into the guest room for him! Tonight I would also like to tackle hanging some more photos etc. It is definitely time to make the place more "ours."

Another dimension of spouse camp is trying to coordinate our schedules. Swim Camp made it very clear that my waking up at 4:45 and going to bed at 9 will not work in this family. I hardly got to see David at all. My husband works 10-6 most days and is a night owl. He is usually up well past 11 and doesn't have to wake until 9 to get to work on time. So we have agreed to meet in the middle. Going to bed between 10:30 and 11:30 in order to have some quality time in the morning together before we leave for work. Hopefully this will work out for us and still allow me to get to most of my group activities.

I decided to spare Mon another Bono song and opted for a less celebrated Grammy category for today's video. Don't worry Mon, no need to thank me ;)

*Edit* You can view the U2 marathon over at Bolder's place!

15 comments:

Lynne said...

So? what is 40k?

E-Speed said...

Lynne I just added links. Simplified explanation: You buy miniatures, assemble them, paint them, then you have battles with them. I guess there are a lot of rules though that go along with though.

E-Speed said...

that's one way to play toast ;)

Toasty said...

I was school captain of chess so I think I could play 40K. I am proud of the fact that I redefined the game and introduced where you divide the chess room into two teams at each end of the room. The boards are used as shields and then you throw the pieces at each other.

Chad said...

Spouse camp sounds interesting. Mind if I give you my wife's email, so you can tell her all about it?

E-Speed said...

Zeke- No problem! Really it just involves us trying to make an effort to engage in "us" time. I think we all have a tendency to get so involved in "me" that we begin to take our loved ones for granted. And surprise surprise, the more time you engage in "us" time the more you realize why you got together in the first place, making you want that time to be a focus point of your life again.

But if your wife is up for the more girly details I would be glad to share!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU GOD! SO glad you didn't post anymore Bono, the antichrist! hehe....

Anonymous said...

Yay, a post that I completely understand!
I can't believe you're giving in and playing 40k this weekend :) I'm free on Saturday, so if you get bored with just all the guys, call me and I could come down and shop with you or something! (I'm not trying to invite myself, but seriously if you want girl company, call me!)

D said...

Just a quick comment to say "hello."

Danny said...

all right, you convinced me. i should get married.

Anonymous said...

Aww... spouse camp is a great idea! Too bad mine would think it's cheesey :) Have lots of fun with your hubby!

Remco said...

I really enjoyed reading your posts. And your choice of music is great and it is about running and ocassionally a cat turns up! Lol..I have to check in more often!

Cliff said...

Great spouse post....on tues night. a girl from my cell group is considering getting marry. Most of the ppl in the group is marry, newly marry and soon to be marry (except me, of course)...

The situation for the girl is quite complciated..the couples in the group start tellin g her she gotta start thinking together with her b/f (they plan on getting marry). It is not just decision for her or for him. Is together.

Your post reminds me of just that. In our crazy crazy schedule, it is very easily to forget about the significant other...this is usually where the problem starts. I am glad u get to spend some quality time with your hubby.

40k? you gotta be kidding me :) Sorry I don't have the patience to play that game all night (and day) long :D

Rae said...

Spouse camp sounds like so much fun!! From all your posts I can tell your hubby is super supportive of all your training. I know I couldn't do it all without Brent either!

A. M. Mericsko said...

nice job putting things into perspective, elizabeth! i know that sometimes it is quite difficult to put the brakes on working out. especially when it has become such a big part of your life! : )