Addendum to last post

So that post was getting entirely too long but I am not finished :)

Sunday morning woke up bright and early to get to the SERC run. I had found out at the party that B was also running 16 so we had planned to do the 15 mile loop and add on a 1/2 mile out and back to get in our 16 while also tackling some Boston appropriate hills. A and DaisyDuc were planning on coming and running 8 so we had a small group of ladies out in extremely chilly weather. Weather.com claimed that it felt like -9 out but I think with the sun it felt warmer because I was a wee bit overdressed. I was extremely grateful for the balaclava that B let me borrow though because it was windy. The first 6 miles were pretty uneventful. We got to the water stop and there was no water, phooey! I guess it was too cold.

A and DaisyDuc turned off to finish out their 8 and B and I continued on. We stopped at a church to get some water and take our gels. Just after A and Daisy turned off the knee did the twinge again, grrr. I told B about it. She recommended doing knee strengthening exercises for the next few weeks, and of course icing. We decided we were going to take it easy up the hill just in case. HAH, surprise surprise there would be no attempts at tackling the hill that day anyways. Once we got off the main road onto the parkway it was like we entered winter wonderland. They had not plowed or salted at all. We pretty much just had to trudge up the hill. Once we got to the top we decided to bail on our plans to do the 15 loop because that would have been a lot more of the parkway and snow trudging. So we headed back to the bagel shop along the 12 and then did 2 miles out and back to finish up the 16. Google pedometer says it was 15.75 so we were averaging around 8:45-8:55 pace even with the slow hill.

Around mile 6 I noticed my ankle was a bit sore. I have no clue what I did to it, but it is still sore today, it is getting increasingly less painful though. I have been continuing to ice and have paid attention to it while walking and during workouts.

Last night I decided to brave the trainer even though I haven't received the replacement part yet. I wore my helmet just in case the bike did indeed come out of the trainer. That didn't turn out to be an issue. I did the first 50 minutes of the mental toughness spinerval. Let me tell you Coach Troy sucks! He is MEAN! No wonder I suck on the bike, I don't EVER push that hard! If I could I would just spin all day long :)

But I am glad I did the workout and I will be working up to the full 90 minutes soon. (Or it might have to wait till next winter if the weather warms up before my long rides start)

This morning David and I went out for a short wog before work, just 1.5 miles.

Tonight I need to get in a tempo run but that may have to get pushed to tomorrow. Last weekend was so full that I didn't get anything done around the house so laundry and dishes are piled a mile high.

I am currently without pool and pre Steelhead base prep started this week so I need to get on that. I am trying to get A to share her pass to Mayfield but I may end up over at CSU. $5 a drop in sounds reasonable to me. (plus $40 annually for master membership)

8 comments:

Papa Louie said...

Great workout! Maybe I can workout with your club sometime. I have been using my exercise ball at work as a chair for the last month and feel more aware of my posture and feel the core muscles engaging more. I also love rolling around with it. My son and daughter have one at home and my wife uses it with the bands.

Anonymous said...

I would've loved to see a photo of you on the trainer with your helmet, slightly tensed up with a look of "Is this thing about to fall apart?!" on your face.

I know, I'm easily amused.

E-Speed said...

you should definitely come run with us, saturdays are trails in the valley and sundays long road runs in solon, we have a speedy blast ;)

Jay T, I tried to get David to take a pic but he informed me it was better not too :)

qcmier said...

Not sure when you like to swim. I may be able to get you into the CSU pool in the evenings or lunchtime. I have also heard you could get a yearly pass for like $150. Not sure if it's true or not. By the way, they will probably switch to the 50 meter length in a few weeks. I can't wait!!

Black Knight said...

Great workout. I am curious to test myself in a -9 weather situation. I am sure I wouldn't survive.

E-Speed said...

thanks qc, I will definitely be checking out the master swims in the mornings, I heard some rumor about that to, but I thought it was $250, I think you basically have to make a "donation" to the college and you get free swimming.

stefano-the sun was out so it actually wasn't too bad as long as you weren't going into the wind and that is -9 F ;)

Cliff said...

Wog *L* :)...

Great work out...

Rae said...

Great job with the run! It sounds like quite the winter wonderland!