Busy Weekend

I have so many posts running around in my head this weekend it is crazy! But for now a summary of the weekend until I have more time to put my other thoughts into type a bit more eloquently.

Friday night I headed straight from work to the CTC meeting. I joined last week in hopes of meeting some new fun triathletes and hopefully finding some more people to train with out on the East side. It has already paid off so I am super excited! The club has over 300 members currently and they have training all over the Cleveland area so I expect good things.

Luckily for me a bunch of other tri-bloggers are in the club so I have some new real life virtual friends. V. Awesome, and a bit surreal! Trisaratops, DaisyDuc, Papa Louie, and Qcmier were all out Friday night.

After a run down on what the club is up to (A LOT!) we were able to shop at discounted prices (I got an awesome Pearl Izumi cap for $11) and then we headed over to BW3s for some wings and beer. Everyone had a good time and I took some pics, I will have to start asking permission to post pics since I don't want to step on any new toes. They will find out soon how much of a camera nut I am.

DaisyDucs husband was a real trooper and even sat with us while we all chatted "tri." I ended up staying a bit too late but I had a great time chatting with everyone. I got to talk with the club prez. One of the gentlemen seemed to think I was the type of gal that gives her husband woes. He kept making me promise to be nice to my husband. He was really fun. I am looking forward to some long bike rides with him!

By the way has anyone heard of a wall street journal article about sex and its affects on our tri performance? This gentleman swears that this very serious article claimed that we all need to stop having sex because it is hindering our performance. Not sure how that falls in line with being a good wife ;)

I love meeting new people. Hopefully I didn't come off as crazy, I really had a great time and am truly looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

I got home much later than planned and decided that I would rather wake up a bit early for my run Saturday than lay stuff out and went straight to bed.

Sat I got up and had to rush around. I still have no idea how I made it to the TNT run in time, I even had to stop for gas. I was under the impression that it was going to be really cold. Turns out that it was 45. Pretty warm. I was unprepared for that but luckily had a short sleeve at least so I didn't fry too much. The pants were a bit warm.

My legs felt super drained Saturday (perhaps beer and wings aren't the best fuel for a long run?) so A and I took it easy. I tried out the walk/run thing with 15-30 second walks at every mile marker. I figure if I am going to walk through water stops at Boston I should practice that in training. Can't hurt right? Even with us taking it easy and the walk bursts we held 9:05 pace. I was glad that we weren't running too much slower as I was already a little peeved about Friday's run. I am not sure why my legs felt like toast, maybe the lack of sleep.

After the run I stopped and got a sub and tried to clean up as best as I could in the restroom, then I made the 2 and a half hour trek out to Toledo to surprise my husband. I was extremely tired on the drive, I had to stop and just rest my eyes and got a frozen coffee drink.

David was playing in a 40K tournament at a gaming convention. There was lots of other gaming going on. Some geeky, others bordering on bizarre. The 40k room seemed to have to most "normal" guys at the conference. Really everyone playing in that tournament seemed pretty down to earth, guys from all different fields, lawyers, business owners etc. I got there in time for the 2nd out of 3 games. David won his first game and somehow got paired up against the guy that ended up with the most "battle points" so he got his ass rocked on that game.

Here is a pic of one of his tanks that got wasted.

He came back and won his third game though so overall he played very well. The scoring for all of the other things seemed to be very subjective. (They get scores on composition, appearance, sportsmanship, and then of course victory points) All of the guys we know got pretty low scores, even ones I thought should have done well (but what do I know?)

My hubby was by far the hottest gamer in the whole place! Evidence below. There weren't many women there but there were actually some attractive girls there (contrary to what I was told to expect).

I had a good time taking pictures of everyone's different models. I restrained myself from making signs and bringing pom poms ;)

Only two awkward interactions with gamers. The guy at the registration desk was a real tool and did not know how to chill at all. In his defense I was trying to get in without paying (I wasn't playing any games so I didn't really want to pay). But David and I went over to check out the different vendors and we tried to be all sly, just walk right in. This guy was having none of it.
"Excuse me! Are you here for BashCon?"
us: "yeah, we are playing in the 40k tournament we were just going to look at vendors for a few minutes"
him "well come on over and I will get you registered"
us: "we already registered, we are playing the 40k tournament"
him: "oh well i need to see your badge"
us: "the tie didn't work very well they are back in the 40k room"
him: "Uhhhhh."
us: "we can go back and get the badge if you like"
him: "yeah you are going to have to do that"

my actual registration followed in the same manner. I was like "Dude" this guy really needs a different job. Not very good friendly social skills.

So we walked around. They had some pretty funny gaming shirts. (Warning the next image isn't PG)
Would have got this one for David but he wouldn't be able to wear it to work so kind of pointless.

After we checked out the vendors we walked around and checked out what games people were playing. A lot of the company's test out their new games at conventions like this so you can sit in on new games. Kind of neat. We are almost out of there and this guy starts waving at us. "Hello! Hello!"
I am like "do you know that guy" I swear he acted just like we were old college friends or something.

Well he calls us over and proceeds to tell us in detail about the game he is playing and what conventions he will be at playing that game and that the artist is over in the vendor booths and you can buy a start up kit at that booth, and it comes with everything you need...you get the point.

It was painful. We couldn't escape. We were like seriously dude we need to get back to our tournament. (Slowly take a step away from the freak) We managed to escape just as he was bringing in back up. It was a close call.

We didn't get out of the convention until pretty late and headed to Perrysburg for dinner. I was flagging seriously. I didn't know how I was going to make it through dinner let alone the 2 hour drive home. I decided to just stay the night in Perrysburg and drive straight to the indoor tri this morning. I didn't have any of my stuff with so I just hung out and cheered/took pictures.

Papa Louie and B2 ROCKED the run. Holy Crap! These guys were pulling out 5:30-5:40s on the dread for 20 minutes. It was impressive! There was a young high school swimmer who rocked the swim with 59 lengths, also pretty damn impressive but she needs to learn not to talk so much smack beforehand. I guess I remember doing that in high school, trying to psyche out other runners. But I think in tri's you kind of have to put your money where your mouth is.

I got my CTC t-shirt which is suhweet! It was a fun event. The rec center was pretty impressive. Nice pool and large spinning area and lots of dreads and an indoor track.

Stopped by David's work and said hello on the way home. Our neighbors were out when I got home so I talked with them for awhile and when David got home we pretty much just crashed. I was absolutely exhausted. I think I could have slept till morning. But I dragged myself out of my bed (also known as the black hole) just to type up this blog ;)

So no indoor tri or workout of any sort for me today. Label me as a big Sunday Slacker.

Hopefully my toasted legs are enjoying the break! I have some input on some pools on the East Side so I am hoping to get on track with my Steelhead pre-base training this week. Speaking of track I am going to the track on Tuesday baby! I am SO excited!

Hopefully you can expect some posts that aren't just run downs on daily occurrences in the next few weeks. I have been doing TONS of thinking (be afraid, be very afraid!)

6 comments:

Toasty said...

OMG .... I was exhausted just reading about your weekend

Okolo said...

I've heard a lot of Tri folks talk about no sex before events, but haven't ever read anything about it specifically. If you find an article please forward it to me.

However, from studying stuff like eastern philosophies, martial arts, tai chi, chi-kung and stuff like that, I know that ejaculation for men is bad. (too much at least) It drains vital energy (and life force energy) from the body.

That's different from orgasm however.

Well, you asked...

I'd love to read more on this theory, but my guess is some man got some basic info and got a little confused.

The guy I really like who talks about this stuff is Mantak Chia. From my site on the right hand side I've got a link to one of his books "The Multi-Orgasmic Couple."

Highly highly recommended reading.

Violet said...

First of all...I'm in love with your cat. Second...I love your posts...I'm starting to feel like I've known you for years...sniff.

You are the biggest social butterfly I've ever known...I go out once a year and then I usually have to be coerced.

psbowe said...

I have to agree with ILikeToast! What a weekend you had, amazing! Girl, don't you ever get tired??

Unknown said...

You are a social butterfly.

The T-shirt cracked me up. My brother-in-law, Ed, got my sister a necklace one year for her birthday that said, "Ed's Bitch." Luckily my sister has a good sense of humor and thought it was pretty funny and she even wears it.

Rae said...

Wow! That is a busy weekend. Your new group sounds like so much fun! I wish we had cool stuff like that in N-ville.