Defy Gravity

Hmmm. I was all excited to put up this post. I had what I thought was this super bad ass run this morning and Defy Gravity was playing during one portion of the tempo and I really felt like I was defying something. Apparently I wasn't really defying much except for the ho hum things trying to keep me from getting out the door to run (but that counts for something right?)

I realized as I went to post that I hadn't yet google mapped my route and logged my run so I just took care of that. I was expecting at least a 6 mile run, not so fast young grasshopper. Only 5.677, Boo!

Well whatever I say to that, I have now sworn off google pedometer, until tomorrow.


I have a tendency of thinking I am going much faster on my local runs than I really am. I guess there is something to be said for group runs because I usually average much faster paces when out with a crowd. Maybe running on sidewalks has something to do with this slower pace? Who knows.

This whole post has taken a completely different turn than I expected and now I am just lost.

So I ran this morning. Out comfortable and tempo back. I negative split by 1:30 per mile on the way back, so thats cool. I incorporated the local streets by the lake so this really was a run of all flavors including streets, sidewalk, gravel path, trail, and beach!

I showered and headed in to work. There must have been a serious accident on 90 because we were crawling. Finally I got fed up and exited the highway via an on ramp (in my defense other people were doing it to). I was a little worried about finding my way. I have a history of impatient highway exits that are followed by hours of being lost in ghettos, usually in major snow storms. But I found my way easily today. And as an added bonus I got to check out the route that I am planning on using to commute on my bike with once warmer weather hits! It should be wickedly sweet (stealing from SimplyStu). Traffic wasn't too heavy even with the mass highway exodus. And there are lots of lovely mansions along the lake to distract me from any cycling woes. I cannot wait to get outside on my bike!

On tap this weekend is a TNT run and an indoor tri! Also looking forward to meeting some new peeps at the CTC meeting tonight!

8 comments:

Cliff said...

Once I got stuck in the highway so bad that we all reverse on the shoulder all the way to a ramp (about 800 m back) and get out.

The cops saw us doing it...he did nothing :)

Toasty said...

This post makes me think about whether it is better to train with a group or by yourself ..... on one hand I think we all run faster in a group .... but in a race you have to set your own pace and i believe this needs to be practiced as well ..... i'm off to run by myself for my long run .....

Janet Edwards said...

Rush hour traffic has taught me that my car can do U-turns in grassy medians surprisingly well even with a doughnut tire on one wheel!!

See ya at the meeting!

Papa Tweet said...

When you said "whikedly sweet" I thought of Simply Stu before I read it. That guy puts on a great show. I see you are doing an indoor tri. Are you doing Stu's worldwide triathlon?
Benny

CJ said...

Great run anyway, even if it wasn't exactly 6km. It was comfortable and you negative split so gotta be happy with that!

Rae said...

Traffic stinks! Our commute is 2 miles but it still takes us 20 minutes. UGH!

Great job with the neg splits, keep up the good work!

princess kanomanom said...

Hi there,
I came across your blog while researching a potential Runner's World story. Please drop me a quick email (kje7@u.washington.edu) if you'd be interested in contributing a few quotes.
Best,
k

Scott said...

If ever I make it to a marathon, I want to be listening to Defying Gravity during the last throes... if anything will get me to the finish line that song will!

I am counting the days until I get to see the show here in Toronto.. as I missed it the first time through.