Are you Prepared?

The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa (Odd how Rob used the perfect quote for my post in his post today, I have really been "on the level" with a bunch of bloggers out there recently, maybe that is why this community has become so integrated into my life...)

I have some pretty intense goals this year for my racing season. But realistically the one that is going to take the most mental and physical preparation is the one that no time goal is necessary, the one where just finishing is a feat, and that is the JFK 50 Miler.

In this athletic community (real and virtual) it is very easy to get wrapped into the feel good vibes and think that anything is possible, and anything is possible, if you put in the preparation first. I can't wake up tomorrow and run 26 miles, let alone 50, without a lot of time and effort beforehand.

Some background: (feel free to skip ahead as this isn't the meat of the post, just some filler for those that don't know my background)

I have been running "distance" since 6th grade. Let's face it folks most Americans can't run a quarter mile so really anything more than a block is distance. Like most runners I started small. 6th grade was intramural "cross country." Lucky for me the coach noticed that skinny chick in his homeroom class and decided to inform me I should run. So I did. I remember those first mile races inside our middle school (yes I think it was 2 or 3 laps inside the school for the mile). I was a "natural." I can remember the joy of winning my first "race." And how good it felt to be good at something outside of academics.

7th grade we moved up to actual cross country where races were actually against other schools and were now 2 miles. That year I wasn't so hot. I did decent but I wasn't number one. I was probably 7th on the team. Over the summer I practiced with the high school team and came back for an amazing year. I moved from 7th to first on the team. Placing in most major invintationals. I was on top of my dorky run world.

I was intimidated by the move to 5K in high school but it turned out to also be something I "got." My freshman and sophomore years I did well enough to go to states. I wasn't breaking any records that's for sure but I was good enough to get there. Junior year we had a change in coaching staff and I had bailed on track sophomore year so I struggled a bit. No states for me or the team. Senior year I again did decent, nothing spectacular but did get to go to states as a team. During those years I did 3 years of outdoor track and one season of indoor. A typical track meet for me consisted of the 2 mile, 800 meters, 1 mile, and 4*800. If I was lucky they would let me bag the 800.

I was excited to run cross in college and was looking forward to some exciting new challenges. Unfortunately I didn't have a good career, never once even running top 7 on the team. I think I officially competed in 2 complete seasons. I was out for awhile with a stress fracture. I did indoor track for one season. Good Lord 5K on an indoor track is killer. When coach announced I would be doing 10K in outdoor I bailed. Getting lapped in indoor was bad enough thank you.

Fast forward to 2004. I had been running recreationally (45 minutes 2-3 times a week) since graduating a year before. I was a good 20-30 pounds heavier than I ought to be. That is when I signed up for the Chicago Tri and kick started my adult running career. (I know it sounds odd but I swear that if I had just continued to keep running or had signed up for a marathon first I truly believe I would not be running the splits I am now) After the Chicago tri I decided to give the marathon a shot.

Richmond came and went in 3:39:42 just barely qualifying for the big show in Boston. I put in some serious mileage in the beginning of 2005 and injured my ITB but still got through Boston in 3:49:50 (water stop to water stop). Throw in 2 more Olympic distance tris and Columbus Marathon in October and you're basically caught up on my endurance base.

Back to the Meat:

My background in running has set me up for some awesome possibilities. This year I decided to tackle a half-ironman and the JFK 50 miler. Stepping it up in distance in both tris and running.

To me these are logical steps.

But there are lots of things along the path to these races that can try to stop me or get in the way. Because I have persevered through injuries and being overweight and having bad race conditions before, I am confident that my strong base and a lot of mental prep will have me ready to tow the line. But in order for these races to fall out as planned there is a lot of work ahead of me. I have to be prepared for all the bad as well as the good and I have to be able to overcome.

At the bagel shop a few weeks ago I told a friend that I was definitely going to sign up for JFK this year.

His retort was "So what, you want me to call you an Ultra runner now?" That may sound harsh, but that is the reality. I have not finished these races yet. Signing my name on the dotted line means absolutely nothing. Just showing up and finishing is a feat but for me it isn't anything worth congratulation. I have the base and athleticism that warrants some serious goals. And I wouldn't want it any other way. Why make your debut in a distance if you aren't going to make it an impressive one? Yeah it is cool that I can go out and win age group in local 5ks or sprint tris, but finishing a 50 mile race top in age group where more than a few weekend warriors show up, that is something to aim for. I didn't sign up for these races to take them lightly and I intend to do what I set out do. But until I do it all they are is goals, not reality.

So no patting on the back just yet. There is still a lot of work to be done and a lot of miles to put in.

This is going to be an awesome year!

20 comments:

Backofpack said...

Wow! It sounds like you've got it together both mentally and physically for your goals. You obviously have given it much thought and have the mental wherewithal to get it done.

Scott said...

Your post and the vid brought the lyrics of Dream The Impossible Dream from Don Quixote to mind:

It is the mission of each true knight...
His duty... nay, his privilege!
To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go;
To right the unrightable wrong.

To love, pure and chaste, from afar,
To try, when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star!

This is my Quest to follow that star,
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far,
To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause!

And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable stars!

Best of luck with your goals Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...

Well you have drawn your line in the sand. Goals start somewhere. So, you are that much closer the finish.
Thanks for the background filler info. Since I am new to your blog, it was a good way to understand your story. It is a good story at that.

Trisaratops said...

Wow--50 miles is pretty. fricken. far. :) You've put a lot of miles in to get to this point, so I have no doubt that you'll put in the miles, sweat, and tears needed to cross that finish line. Way to aim high!

Cliff said...

Crazy mileage :)

I don't imagine running for so long.but biking for 7-8 hours is A okay to me :)....

What did you reply your friend? If I were you, I would have some witty semi-cocky reply like.."nahh.i want u to call me a Running Goddess (or Princess)"

:)

Rich said...

Hey Elizabeth - you set the goals for yourself and no one else, so you get to choose what you want to aim for. I admire you for it.

Go for it, and even if you don't make it, I have the feeling you're the kind that's gives it all you've got - and we all know that's good enough!

CJ said...

Excellent goals - I like them. My big years event-wise would have to be 2003 and 2004. In 2003 I did my first half ironman - that was an experience. And luckily enough I qualified for the Australian Ironman the following year. 2004 was my Ironman year and it was awesome - lots and lots of training but the feeling when I finished the Ironman - hard to describe. It was awesome.

You will have a great year - you have goals worth getting excited about!

Remco said...

Wow 50 miles! I am still dreaming about my first half marathon!
forget about stupid answers from people that are stuffing themselfes with bagles, you set your goals and there is no better feeling then reaching your goal!

Goodluck

Chad said...

Nice post and great goals. It reminds me that I need to write my goals down for the year - not just have them in the back of my mind.

I'm curious how you plan to train for the 50 miler? That's an event where it probably helps to gain as much insight from ultra veterans as possible.

E-Speed said...

haha Zeke I hoped you would ask that!

I am DEFINITELY looking through other ultra training programs. Obviously I am not considering 100 mpw, but I will be upping my regular weekly marathon mileage. I definitely plan on including the Chi marathon in the training and am hoping to find a trail marathon as another long run.

I have been checking stuff out and plan on mapping out the weekly mileage soon!

Born To Endure said...

Very good post!!! Looks like you sure have an exciting year ahead of you..good luck!! And maybe we'll hook up at Steelhead, i'll be there second year in a row..:-)

qcmier said...

Wow you had quite a weekend. I have never attended a gamer's convention but have heard many many stories.

"I have not finished these races yet. Signing my name on the dotted line means absolutely nothing." Awesome attitude.

Janet Edwards said...

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - T.S. Eliot

With your apparent dedication, I am confident that you will meet your goals!

Unknown said...

Great post Elizabeth! Thanks for putting it down in writing for all of us.

Anonymous said...

nice post, liz. it's good to hear where you're coming from...and the cool thing about goals is this...they're your own, and no one else can make them for you. it doesn't matter what bagel-shop guy says, obviously...but remember--just cause you want to place in your age group at a 50m doesn't mean that other people's goals aren't just as valid...maybe just finishing is just fine for some, ya know? obviously, you have a firm athletic background and your goals are right on for you...so congrats on figuring all that out, and good luck with it. you always seem to do what you put your mind to, so i have no doubt this will be any different...

Unknown said...

Go get 'em!

Legs and Wings said...

Everytime I visit your blog I'm awe struck at how you are truly driven and focused. I have no doubt that you'll accomplish whatever you set your mind to.

Rae said...

I think you're going to do great with the 50-miler. There are a lot of things that anyone can do, or just finish, but I really admire the people who put in the training and do them WELL. And that's you in a nutshell!!

Anonymous said...

That was a rather inspiring post right there. :-)

And the not being able to call you an ultra runner yet is a mere technicality. I have no doubts you'll be more than ready when race day arrives.

Anonymous said...

I am seriously impressed.

Youv'e got a new reader.