Fish out of water

Got out of the pool this weekend and got some running in. Stats below. Saturday I decided to sleep in and run on my own. I just went up and down Lakeshore on my little beach/disc golf park out n back. There were tons of disc golfers out because it was so nice. High of 55! I was going to hit the trails at NC but realized I had slept too late to pull that off. After my run I headed out to lunch with my 2005 Chicago Girls. We had a very nice lunch and caught up on all the latest gossip. These girls really are awesome. I have met cool people during all of my TNT events but this group really stands out because of how we have all made an effort to keep in touch post event as a whole group. We accidentally left out the guys from our team, so we felt pretty bad :( But we will be getting together again this Friday as a group and everyone should be able to make it.

After lunch David and I went for a walk on the tow path. We had a good time and got in around 2.5 miles then had ice cream :)

After our walk we headed to Streetsboro to hang with C, A, and B. We ended up spending a good chunk of the evening at a coffee shop chatting, then had mexican for dinner and watched the movie version of Noises Off! No gaming but we still had a good time. C made us a really gorgeous picture holder (the fabric ones with the lace to put your pictures in, I will post a pic!). I really wish I was so crafty!

Woke up Sunday morning and headed to Solon for the group run. It was 35 out, raining, and winds gusting up to about 30mph. i.e. brutal conditions. The wind actually blew my cap off on the last stretch coming in. The Sunday 12 mile course is a bear in good conditions so imagine my surprise when I came across the half way point in 46 minutes and I made it up the hill and back to the coffee shop in 1:29, almost 10 minutes faster than last week. It was definitely a good run. It felt hard but not too hard, so maybe all this swimming has actually done something for my running...

Sat around the bagel shop chatting and chowing then headed to the pool. Got there around noon and guess who was there? Flotsam and Jetsam! That's right folks! They are even swimming on the weekends! No telling if they were there Saturday, but they may have actually made it to the pool more times than this fish last week! Sunday was the 1650 yard time trial. Once again my pool head wasn't on straight. I have a hard enough time counting laps for a 500 let alone 1650. So I took Su and CKs advice and divvied it up in my head to 3 500s then a 150. On the 2nd 500 I may have actually done 550. Not sure though. So my split for 1650-1700 yards was 27:53. Not quite as fast as I had hoped for but to be honest to myself I wasn't really putting in a time trial effort. Uggh. I will just have to push that much harder this weekend on my 500 and 100 yard time trials. Even if I had put more effort in I shouldn't have expected as much because really this weeks focus was on shorter fast sets and I can dish those out pretty easily. It is swimming endurance that I need to work on. More 200s, 400s at a steady pace. But I didn't design the swim camp program so I am just doing as told ;) Once I start Steelhead base training I will focus more on longer sets and building endurance.

Last night I got really sick to my stomach. Trust me you don't want to know the stats on what is floating around in public pools. Needless to say I think I caught a bug from the pool. Luckily I took some meds and woke up feeling dandy this morning so I headed back to the pool.

My buddies Flotsam and Jetsam were back for more. They aren't getting any better yet. Still can't figure out their motives. I find it's getting really hard not to blantantly stare at them while doing kick drills. Today's work out was fine. Nothing fancy. Lots and Lots of 75s on a 1:30 send off. I should have done 1:20 but I was too lazy to figure out my send offs on the clock. Always starting at the top or bottom is much easier :) Plus I figured I earned a few seconds extra rest!

Tomorrow is the training day from hell. AM swim, PM Run, PM swim. Hopefully I survive!

Weekend Stats:

Sat: ~6 miles 54 min

Sun:
12 mile run in 1:29, average pace 7:25
3150 yards in 1:05:21
(300
200 pull
4*50 drill triple back, catch up, sar, fs
1650 Time Trial 27:53
250 pull
3*50 kick
250 pull
3*50 kick)

Mon:
3450 yards in 1:15
(wu: 3 x (100 free, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 kick, 50 kick on back)
3 x [4 x 75 @ 1:30 75%, 3 x 75 @ 1:30 85%, 2 x 75 @ 1:30 95%, 1 x 75 @ 1:30 65%]
150 pull
150 swim)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

After taking SCUBA diving from the 'berg at the Tiffin YMCA, and being able to see what lies at the bottom of a "Y" pool, i have vowed to never swin in a public pool again. You can not even imagine what i saw in that pool.

Tammy said...

That's quite a plan for tomorrow... but you are strong!! I have no doubt you will survive it :)

Nice video selection today, too.

Chad said...

Glad to hear you got in some running. Otherwise you'd have to change your blog's name to "Swim with Me."

islandarts said...

Every single time i go to the public pool they have a 'poop alarm'. seriously, a buzzer sounds and everyone has to get out of the pool while someone fishes poop out of the pool with a net. It's disgusting and i never want to go there.

You should ask Floatsam and Jetsom one day "just curious if you guys are training for an event- Which one??"
LOL

islandarts said...

BTW, I love the different version of "32 flavors" who is that??

E-Speed said...

Island it is Alana Davis. I like it too!

Yeah Zeke, as much as I love swimming 6 days a week is a bit much!

thanks t!

Hoebag! Yeah I know I know but when you gotta train you gotta just get in da pool ya know?

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to have to go in to school late one day and stop in to see Flotsam and Jetsam swimming - and you, of course!

By the by, I got really sick to my stomach yesterday too. I wonder if it was something we ate on Saturday?

psbowe said...

what a working machine you are! No wonder you're a fast runner too. :)

RunDave said...

That's some serious training. Bit hard to decipher all that training code.
About two years ago I was running along on a cool day with a cheap brand of hydration pack, when I felt that my shorts and shirt were a lot damper and colder than they should be. I stopped to check my pack and found that the bladder was almost empty even though I hadn't had much to drink. I could see a little dribble of water coming out at the base of the bladder. Needless to say, I have been copping shit about it ever since.

Lucky number 7 said...

Great job on the training!! That is awesome. How do you get the swimming in??? I would lose count and get bored and get out to sit in the hot tub instead! Haha!!

Unknown said...

Nice job on the workouts Elizabeth. I am with Zeke on the new title, but hey swimming is good I just wish I could do it as well as you. I am more of a head above the water flopper.

Rae said...

Great job on ALL your weekend workouts! It sounds like you guys had a great weekend all around.

One day you're just going to HAVE to talk to the two bad swimmers!