Flying Pig Stomach Issues Solved?

In retrospect I now realize my stomach issues were from too much gatorade. I had thought in the past I drank gatorade at all stations and water just with my gels but in fact in the past I drank gatorade every other station. Lesson learned. I never want to feel like that again. The heat that I wasn't yet acclimated too probably didn't help and getting sick the night before may have been an issue. But I am thinking all that gatorade threw off my electrolyte balance. I should have realized something was wrong when I started missing hand offs at the aid stations. I never miss hand offs on the run.

7 comments:

Rice said...

I can feel that.. GI issues are never fun.

Cheers.

Rice.

D said...

Great extended race report. Fast time! I can't believe you did another marathon two weeks later!

Cliff said...

E-Speed,

I read your previous post. AS rice said, GI issues are never good.

Don't be too hard on yourself..summer is only starting and there is a whole new season coming up :)

Glad u have trisaratops to vent to...having someone to vent = priceless.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hi - I just found your blog! There was an article in Ultrarunner that says that Gatorade doesn't absorb right. It has to do with the sucrose in it. It gives me stomach cramps. I'm better off with Heed or Perpetuum, or just plain water with occasional gels and enduralytes. For long training runs, I use Nuun and gels.

Unknown said...

Glad you figured out the culprit. Would hate to think about you having to go through that again.

Vickie said...

I always worry about drinking gatorade that is mixed by someone else, and particularly when it sits out, most of the time in the sun and heat. I do think the chemical composition changes and that's another factor in getting sick.

Anne said...

I gave up on Gatorade years ago and after switching to something kinder to the GI, have been issue-free (at least when it counts). For me, I like Gookinaid, though I got some sampeles of Clif's new drink with caffeine that I'm willing to try.