Flying Pig Marathon 2007- The Hill and up through 13.1

We eased into the first major incline after mile 5. My breathing felt easy and the pace felt good. Others around me were huffing and puffing but I focused on keeping it light and easy. I was still in "sleeper" mode. Just focusing on staying with the 3:30 guys and trying not to waste any energy. I knew we would soon be coming to the relay hand off area and then a flat loop around Eden Park before climbing a bit more. But before we got there the incline would get steep.

When we hit the park near the top I went for the Gatorade and had one of those "oh shit" moments of splashing another runner with my Gatorade on the toss. I am so sorry and I hope that that runner did not deal with sticky legs the rest of the race. He probably thinks I am a real jerk, as I didn't apologize right away, hoping that perhaps the toss missed him. Once he gave me the look though I realized it had and promptly gave my apologies.

We were a little behind pace here and I decided to make my break from the 3:30 group a little early, okay maybe I also wanted to get away from that runner. (6,7, and 8 were 8:10, 8:13, and 8:06) At 8 we were only 11 seconds behind pace but I was nervous that the pacers weren't going to pick it up until they had crested all the major hills after 10.

As I pulled away from the pace group and the half marathoners peeled off after 9 things got pretty barren. There were no big groups of runners anymore and I was pretty much running by myself. For awhile I would go back and forth with a girl wearing pig ears and a tail. She went on to run 3:32. I also passed a guy in Bermuda shorts during this section. I don't know how you could run in those things!

The next few miles went by quick with a few more rollers. I missed a few splits but those I saw were right on target given whether they were net up or down miles. 7:34, 7:38 (I knew using Rootsrunner's recommended 5 and 10 mile markers that I should net 1:19:41 here and was at 1:19:24), 7:32 There was a steep climb after 9 I think where spectators in the lawns announced we were looking strong, and that this was the last hill. Yeah right. Technically it was net downhill from here, but that definitely didn't mean there weren't any more hills.

Mile 12 seemed to have a few more ups than downs but overall I was still on target (7:49) I started looking forward to the half and prepared to dig in a bit. Mile 13 was right on target 7:37 and I came across the half about 18 seconds ahead of planned pace.

Looking back on it now I should have absorbed more of the race atmosphere. Despite trying to run easy I was so focused on pace I wasn't taking in many of the festivities of a marathon. I surged with the big crowds but most of what I remember is a quiet inner intensity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that inner intensity is what is so great about races though...and you tap into that perfectly, every time...give yourself some credit!

bryan said...

I've lamented the missing of festivities in the past, but at the time I couldn't care less -- especially if you've focused on the event for months ahead of time. I remember very little of the 2004 Pig before 22 miles or so.

Now, tell us what happened in the last 13.1!

Anonymous said...

in the melbourne marathon, there was a guy running in khaki pants and flipflops. and he wasn't last! 4:30 ish? oh, and a backpack.

i guess if you're used to it. but man... a regular backpack? and flipflops?!

the gatorade guy probably was annoyed until you turned to apologise. now he's writing about the cute chickie on his blog. you know it.

Toasty said...

once again all seems to be going to plan ... i'm nervous ... how is it going to turn out ...

Unknown said...

Well...so far, so good right? Definitely looking forward to the next 13 miles.

Janet Edwards said...

Still sounds as though you are going strong!

Oh the gatorade incident does not sound fun. I hate those uncomfortable moments caused by something which was totally unintended!

Another 13 to go!!!