12*300

Mother Nature has apparently not been getting the training memos. Showed up to the track last night and instead was greeted by a wind tunnel. So far this spring we've had one decent track night that wasn't either freezing, raining, or crazy winds. The wind last night thwarted our goal workout of 5* (800, 400) at 5k pace and instead we did 300s to try and get in some decent speed without facing the wind every lap. Have I mentioned I pretty much despise anything shorter than quarters on the track? :)

This workout seemed easy in principal, but I had a hell of a time with it. Goal was to run 300 around 60-62 then jog the 100 meters straight into the next repeat. Really wasn't sure where the 300 mark was so we opted for the marker we thought was 300, I am pretty sure it was, but regardless we did 12 repeats somewhere between 299 and 301 meters. Pretty quickly I realized I was not going to be able to hold 60/61 with the minimal rest (about 26-30 seconds) and I started dogging the recovery jogs eventually walking to catch my breath and getting scolded to just back off the 300 pace rather than walk the recovery (longest recovery was 46 seconds). So I just kept jogging the recoveries, and the last few 300s were closer to 63 and 64.

Both NC and I felt really weird during the cool down, like our legs were made of jello and our brains were frozen. I think it was just the cold wind combined with the workout making me feel fuzzy, but who knows. Thank goodness it is taper time and the hay is in the barn, because that workout was not fun! Maybe next week Mother Nature will play nice!

4 comments:

The Salty One said...

That's so crazy! The wind was nuts at Case too and I was wondering if G would make me do the workout with that going on. Luckily it was a really crazy swirly variable wind and there were a couple of laps where it wasn't a big deal. Overall it just made it a little hard to pace. Can't wait until I can come to the track and do post-mortems together on our cool downs!!! Great job hanging in there!

E-Speed said...

I think I would have rather dealt with uneven pacing! So jealous you did the real workout! :)

Kim said...

we had RIDICULOUS winds last night too - 40mph!!!!! thankfully not windy today for my track workout. glad you didnt fly away!

Irene said...

That's just crazy wind! I guess the advantage to training in whatever weather Mother Nature throws at you is being extra prepared for whatever happens on race day. Still, tough workout!