Week 10- Pig Training Run Down

I got Money in the Bank...humming new rap tune...while imagining my big payout on May 6th.

This was a flipping fantastic running week for me. I broke 40 miles and I don't feel burned out or tired. My paces all fell into place and I have no nagging injuries for the first March since I started training for marathons in 2004. Hell Yeah!

Monday- Pilates (Abs and Buns/Thighs DVDs)
Tuesday- 7.25 miles at the track
Wednesday- 6.5 easy miles downtown with some hill repeats and stair climbing thrown into the mix
Thursday- 75 minutes of yoga
Friday- 10 miles tempo pace
Saturday- 20 minute spin on the trainer
Sunday- 19 miles, 8:04 pace!

Now that's what I am talking about!

Work was rough this week so nailing all my runs really was a good pick me up.

Tuesdays track workout was rough. 3* (2*1200) 2 minute rest before the 2nd 1200 of each set and 4 minute rest between sets. Solar Squirrel made it out to the track so she would run 800 with me and do a recovery 400 while I finished out each 1200 and my rest. I hit all of these between 4:49 and 5:01 which I was delighted with. The pace was tough to hold for all 6 but I recovered fast after each one and on the cool down I felt like I could go another round.

Wednesday the downtown runs started back up and I joined Jen for a nice romp around the city. She had hills on the schedule so I even got to work on my quad strength. Otherwise pace was easy, around 9:15-9:30. It was a nice recovery run.

Yoga Thursday night was great. Everything was feeling nice so I got cocky and attempted a head stand sans wall. Not bright, I managed to fall and knock the wind out of myself. Luckily I didn't seem to cause any damage and still left feeling limber and relaxed.

Friday's 10 mile tempo run was just awesome. After the run we headed out for some grub and large green drinks with my pal Risko. I think a night out was much needed by all and we had fun catching up and taking goofy photos.




Saturday morning we woke up bright and early and headed to Streetsboro to help our friend with her move. Lots of heavy lifting and lots of stair climbing! After the early wake up call and all the moving around I took a belated nap. We watched a few episodes of Angel and I got in a quick trainer ride to loosen up the legs. The nap and 3 cups of tea during the day were apparently a bad idea because I was wired last night. I could not get to sleep and just laid there wide awake for 3 hours, eventually resorting to (seriously) counting sheep. I think I got to about 500 before I finally lost count too many times and dozed. (This is highly unusual for me, other than prerace nights, when my head hits the pillow I am out!)


Well the lack of sleep and late morning rush around did not appear to have an affect on my run this morning. The weather was perfect. A bit chilly when we took off but warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt by the end. A gel and a handheld full of Gatorade and one water stop sustained me for a full 19 miles at my planned 15 mile pace. I was lucky enough to run with DM the first 6 and WV to finish out 19. He pulled me up the hills much quicker than i would have gone on my own and may even have been trying to break me but I didn't break and I felt great throughout the run. I really am lucky to run with such great and knowledgeable runners.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

My name is Dave Lam and I'm currently working on a documentary about every day athletes, entitled ATHLETE. Wanted to pass along a link to the teaser trailer. I think it's a film you and your readers would be interested in.

http://www.athletemovie.com/Athlete_Alert.html

Also available here:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=321297

Thanks,

Dave

"Defy Definition."

Backofpack said...

How many weeks till Pig anyway? Have you run this before, or is it a repeat marathon for you?

E-Speed said...

The race is 6 weeks to go on May 6th! I have not run the marathon but last year I went and ran with/ran in a bunch of friends so I have seen most of the tougher parts of the course.

Unknown said...

I love it when things fall into place. I hope you have 6 more weeks just like this one to get you ready for your marathon.

qcmier said...

You know I'd be at the track with you if I could

A. M. Mericsko said...

Thanks for soooo much fun on Friday! Next time we need to not wait till monthes pass!

Toasty said...

now that's the way uh-ha uh-ha i like it uh-ha uh-ha, do da do do, do da do do, do da do do yeah!

nice form, sweet running

Janet Edwards said...

Sounds like a great training week! I guess you were enjoying the run so much on Sunday, you just needed to go more than your planned 15!!

Iron Jayhawk said...

What a productive week you've had! Way to go, Elizabeth :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on feeling fine and going over 40 miles for the week. You're a machine! You're sure to blow away the competition at the race.

Ginger Breadman said...

dang, great week of training! Awesome job on the tempo - I'd have to agree, those are hard 'cause you aren't tapered and don't get the rest like intervals. However, even with the rest during your interval workout, that one sounded even more challenging. The cross-training seems to do well with you.

Brian said...

Sweet! Are you feeling ready to get jiggy with the piggy? Keep riding the mental highs until race day!

Steve Stenzel said...

GREAT SUNDAY RUN!!!

I can't wait until my stinkin knee gets better - now that it's nice out, I NEED to be outside going the distance!

Triteacher said...

I go faster just by reading your blog, I think. :) E-SPEEEEEED it is!

Donald said...

That's an awesome training week. Sounds like you're peaking at the right time.

Papa Louie said...

Glad to hear no nagging injuries. Keep up the good marathon training. A few more weeks and you'll be in taper mode.

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Nice post, and great work these past few days.  Keep this up and you'll have a nice Pig.

Charlie said...

Great Tshirt. "Olive You".
You are funny.
Solid training. Keep it up.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Now that's a great week of running! I can't wait to see you rock that Pig on May 6th! Love the pics, by the way.

Haight said...

Drinking something 'blue' in front of a Bass sign seems sacriligious for some reason.

E-Speed said...

The light didn't do the drink justice, It is actually green!

Anonymous said...

i, too, love it when things fall into place, but i love it even more so when other people fall during yoga.
makes me feel i'm not alone in the category of wobbleton. are you sure the green beer didn't precede the head stand?

Anne said...

So the counting sheep trick does work...eventually. I'll remember that next time I too have too much tea too late in the day.