Running High

Tuesday night I headed to the park for my weekly tempo run. The group had plans for a completely different workout that involved 10 miles, one easy, one half marathon pace. And that wasn't even close to what I was supposed to do so I just started right in by myself when I got to the park.

The loop is 2 miles, first mile mostly up hill in the first 800 meters and the last mile is mostly downhill in the second 800 meters. I started out with an easy mile uphill.

The tempo run called for 6 miles at 7:34 pace. For some reason I thought it was 7:36 pace so when I came through the first mile at 7:36 I was pretty pleased but realized it might be rough to keep pace since that was the downhill mile. To my surprise I came through the 800 meter uphill section faster than I had gone through the first 800 of my tempo run and hit the second mile at 7:36 too. I was pretty stoked. I was able to focus on the task and managed to actually come out with my average pace at 7:34, thanks to three miles faster than I anticipated. Miles 3-6 went by in 7:26, 7:42, 7:32, and 7:30 (uphill!). The 4th mile I started with a severe side stitch. I need to figure out what the heck is causing that. I haven't had pain like that since middle school. Any tips for taking care of this and quick would be greatly appreciated. After seizing my side with my hand and clamping down on the pain, and trying to ease my breathing it subsided a bit, but I can still feel the pain lingering a bit even today.

It seems I always see a lot of people going the other way on this loop. Tuesday was no exception. A few "hooligans" were out. They had a suspicious look about them so I kept my head down and muttered good evening as I passed. Then I got a whiff of why they were being so suspicious. And it was strong! I guess the park is as good a place as any for these youngsters to be out breaking the law, but I like to enjoy my nature sans drugs. Every time I passed them I got a whiff of the stuff, and for some reason the smell seemed to linger on the uphill my last two times around the loop. As if it isn't hard enough to keep my pace going uphill with crap for traction. Why is it that the snow and ice was only left on that hill and the rest of the path was clear?

But I did it. I ran all 6 miles at the pace I was supposed to. Without the aid of a treadmill telling me what pace to go, and without the aid of company. I am super excited. It's like seeing an old friend who you lost touch with. I am so happy my legs have decided to go back to their speedy ways!

Funny note of the night. I saw an older gentleman walking around the loop a few times and the last time I saw him I was hammering up the snow/ice filled hill on my last mile of the tempo run and he hollered at me "You're a trooper, keep going!" I thought that was cute and it made me feel good.

Oh and did I mention it was a balmy 38 degrees when I started and I ran the whole workout in shorts!!! Thank you for the warmer weather! I'm ready for spring!

14 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Awesome run!!! That's definitely gotta make you feel good - way to keep focused and get the job done!!

Brian said...

Keep your head upo when you suspect hooligans. Doing so will make you look less vulnerable. Sweet run! 7:25's?!?! That 5K PR is a lock this summer!

Unknown said...

Way to go. I love it when older folks give me kudos. You can tell they really mean it and it always leaves me feeling like I'm really giving it my all.

RobbyB said...

You're such a speedster! Good stuff.

The hooligans reminded me of a pass I made a few days ago. I was ehind a guy and he whipped around way to fast when I stepped in a puddle behind him. As soon as I passed I could smell why. And this was on a sidewalk on a busy street!

Keep up the good work.

Janet Edwards said...

Nice run woman!

I love when random people give encouragement!

Sounds like speedy is back ready to rock Y-town!

Steve Stenzel said...

It's GREAT when you know you can hold a pace without a dreadmill. Well done!

Kate said...

Awesome work! That's a great run. Your speed is definitely coming back!

Toasty said...

That's a great run ... you were so hot, I can't believe you didn't melt the ice on the hill all by yourself!

Lloyd said...

Nice, E.

Mill Creek should be a blast!

Rae said...

Great job!! You should've asked the hooligans to run with you! =)

Anonymous said...

i can't read this now. i tried. it's 5:20 am. i read "tempo run" as tampon. yeah, maybe later. after the shower. i'm too disturbed to try it again. never blog zonked.

admin said...

speedy ways here you come! I'm glad you came back to what i liked about reading on your blog the most: The description of your tempo-Workouts!

Keep going that way, Marcus

Pharmie said...

What a great run! And you held an amazing average despite your lungs being poisoned :)

Dubs said...

Good job on the workout! So nice to have someone cheer you on!

As far as the side stitch, I learned once that you should rub upwards, that it can be the jarring of your organs. Not sure if it is true, but whoever told it to me had a good pitch. I try to just rub upwards and stretch my body (not hunch over). Hope it works for you. :)