Week 2- Pig Training Run Down

Well not everything went as planned but I am going to go ahead and call this a Good week!

Run Down
Monday- 24 minutes Pilates
Tuesday- 6 mile run
Wednesday- 2800 yard swim
Thursday- 3.25 mile run, 75 minutes Yoga
Friday- Dancing!
Saturday- Winter Buckeye 50K
Sunday- Rest

Monday I squeezed in a quick pilates workout. Buns and thighs, Mari Winsor style. My hip flexors definitely got a work out!

Tuesday I headed over to GRes to run with my regular Tuesday crowd. My training plan called for a 1 mile warm up, 5 miles at about 7:45 pace, and a mile cool down. Instead we did a mile warm up then ran the next three at tempo pace. With the ice that ended up being 7:59, 8:08, and 7:53. Then we did 4*20 second pick ups, then 4 hill repeats, then 4 more pickups. My legs were tapped by the end but I did a good job on the pickups and the hills so I was very happy with the run.

Wednesday I actually got out of bed in time for a swim. It was basically a mixed set of 600 swim, 8*50 on 1 minute send offs, 500 swim, 8*50 on 55, 400 swim, and 8*50 on 50. The last few 50s were rough but I survived!

Thursday I was supposed to do 1 mile warm up, 4*800 at 6:20ish pace, 1 mile cool down. Instead I ended up with 1 mile easy, 3:30, 3:23, 3:51 then I bailed on the workout. I just blew up on the third 800. I couldn't keep pace and was worried I would fly off the treadmill. I swear this treadmill was faster than the one I used at Jen's work. I called it quits at 3.25 and walked for a few minutes before calling it a day. My body just wasn't up to the task.

Thursday night I headed back to yoga and left feeling great. I am glad I finally got around to doing something about my flexibility and relaxation!

Friday night David and I went out to dinner with Wild Bill and his wife and a few running friends. Then I headed out dancing with Wild Bill and Mrs. Wild Bill. David headed over to some friends in Canton. We danced through one set of the Spazmatics. As we entered the bar the lead singer grabbed me and ushered me onto the dance floor before I even got my jacket off. They played some fun 80s music (Including Whip It, hence the video) that I used to jam along to in elementary school (I was an MTV baby) so I had fun singing and bopping along. It was smoky and my throat is still sore. I can't wait for the day I can go out dancing and not worry about ruining an entire outfit and my lungs with second hand smoke! We left after about an hour and I stayed with them since they live about 15 minutes from where the winter Buckeye 50K was starting the next morning. It is so nice to have friends that are willing to let you crash at their place so you can go out dancing with them and still get a good nights sleep.

Saturday I went out with the intention of running 13-18 miles on the trails and ended up feeling so good I went for 50k and PR'ed by almost an hour despite lots of hills, stairs, mud, and ice. I had a blast and I don't feel an ounce guilty for missing my second swim this week. If only every run could be so much fun! (Ahem dumb treadmill!)

My legs feel eerily good today. I'll be the first to admit now that a trail 50K is MUCH easier on your body than a road marathon. If you had told me that I would be able to climb up and down stairs today with no trouble yesterday during the race, I would have laughed in your face. But I swear I feel like I could go out and run a few miles with no pain right now. Scary! So I think I will stick to some house chores today and putting my feet up. Don't want to take too much advantage of my body.

16 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, you are machine! Congrats on the 50K PR. Incredible, esp in the winter.

Do you find yourself modifying the interval workouts on the FIRST training plan often? I'm following the FIRST program just to experiment (more flexibility during the winter months and something new). What do you think about it so far? It's TOUGH! Hopefully you are really taking advantage of the built-in recovery days.

Stay healthy and happy out there. Sounds like an crazy upcoming season. Good luck!
-Steph

Unknown said...

You amaze me Elizabeth! Congrats on the PR.

SRR said...

GOOD FOR YOU GIRLIE!!

RunBubbaRun said...

Great job on the week, especially the ultra. I think trail running is sometimes more fun. Definetly easier on the body.

Tammy said...

You're doin' 50Ks now?? daaaaammmmn Gina! ;)

Kate said...

I knew you were amazing, but this...??? I just don't have room in my mind to process how amazing you are :)

Janet Edwards said...

Go Liz!!! I somehow figured when you signed up that you would not stop until you went the entire distance.

Fantastic job and PR, especially in those conditions! Great way to start off 2007!

Papa Louie said...

Dancing sounds like so much fun. Great job on your 50K PR!

Vickie said...

Congrats on the 50k! I have done 2 and did find they were MUCH easier than any marathon or even a road 25k I have done. And the surprising thing I found, like you, is that I was able to run again a couple of days later with NO problem. Good week of working out. Whatever your goals are, this 50k should help get closer.

Black Knight said...

Congrats for the Buckeye Trail 50k PR and for the great week!

psbowe said...

I think you should start thinking about going pro, especially with a PR like that! Nicly done!

Runner Susan said...

You're awesome E!

Running 2 Mohican said...

Great recovery! I was moving slow. Maybe some work on a stair stepper would help me out on that course.

Toasty said...

Here's the breakdown .... blah, blah, blah, DANCING!!!! .... 50K

Hold on a second did I read that right?

Dancing!!! ... Yep, there it is.

You sweet E are truly an inspiration to us all .. and I mean me, as I can not speak for others.

I said Whip It! Whip it Good! .... Crack that Whip! Break your mama's back! Head over to the fridge! Have another snack! ... (or words similar to that).

Haight said...

Someone check under her skin. She has to be an alien of some sort. A machine I tell ya.

Great work...and lets see some dancing videos :)

Josh Dysart said...

I really do feel like such the slacker right now. Seriously. I am a huge slacker. You rock E! That is amazing. Congratulations.