Buckeye After Thoughts

I have been thinking about what drives one to go from a 13 mile run to a 31 mile run and also why on earth my legs have not retaliated in the normal pathetic manner they do after 18 miles+ of abuse.

Here's the only explanation I can offer for the mindset it takes to sign up for a half marathon and end the day with an ultra.

First you show up with the intention of running 13-18. This initial wobble room is easier to stretch than if you had said you were doing 13, period.

Second you start out with friends running longer and your ego takes a blow. If they are going to run 26-31 at this pace, certainly you cannot only do 13.

Third your friends use some persuasion. They remind you that you have nothing else going on that day, why not run long? What will you blog about if you only run 13. 31 is much more exciting. Think of your readers! (Not kidding BH did bring up the fact that blogging about an ultra would be much more exciting)

Fourth you start to listen to your friends and think to yourself. Well, I really don't have anything else going on today. David is visiting friends and I have no work to catch up on.

Fifth you decide that as long as your body isn't in pain there really isn't any reason you can't run longer.

At this point the deal is pretty much done. The only thing left is to avoid the temptation to stop at 13, 18, and 26 which are conveniently located at the 31 finish line.

Since my body did not complain one iota and I never had any mental breakdowns, I really had no reason not to do the 31 miles.

Oh and did I mention you have to be absolutely nuts and think that running 31 miles in 40 decreasing to 35ish degree weather on muddy icy trails, icy cold stream crossings, with tons of stairs is fun.

And well I think we all know by now that I qualify as a bit nutty ;)

As for why my legs feel so good. My theory is that it is a combination. 1) Yoga. I know I have only taken two classes, but I think the flexibility played a role in my legs staying looser the entire race. 2) Stairs. I have been taking the stairs at work (6 flights) every day for a few months. The course had lots of stairs which probably would have done more damage if my legs weren't used to them. 3) ibuprofen. I took an ibuprofen before and after the race as well as 2 during. I don't normally do this but 4 of the pills was well within the daily allowed dosage and I wanted to prevent inflammation. 4) youth. I think my body is adapting to the long stuff and I think it is recovering faster now that it is used to it. 5) fuel. I think Tanya put something miraculous in that Chili. I also had hot chocolate right afterwards. I think refueling right after the race probably eased the DOMS that never occurred.

15 comments:

JenC said...

I say do it while you can! My body is straining under the stress I'm putting it under. I think it is because I'm getting old. : ) Yoga does help though. Speaking of, looking forward to seeing you Thursday night!

Kim said...

It's amazing how easily we can succumb to peer pressure during ultra runs! And how much sense it seems to make while out on the run too...

qcmier said...

I am absolutely blown away by your volume. Awesome. Wow.

Backofpack said...

Just what I needed to read, as I think about going from two loops: 19.4 miles to three loops: 28.8, or maybe the full 50K on Saturday. My husband is running 50K, Rob and Jenny are planning it too, why shouldn't I?

I have Pilates and fueling going for me. And my recent running history. Unfortunately, I don't have youth, although 49 is younger than 50, which is what Eric is. So maybe that counts as youth...

Thanks for the inspiration!

RunBubbaRun said...

I think running these ultras and being a little "nutty" is what can keep you sane out there.

Great job out there, especially when you weren't really not planning to run that far. I think you are definetly "Ultra" hooked.

mouse said...

nutty, indeed, woman.

HOOOOOOLY SMOKES! I absolutely cannot believe you. but great job, nonetheless. :)

Anonymous said...

Right on.

Donald said...

You're definitely doing something right. Or more likely, a lot of somethings. Keep up the strong running.

Janet Edwards said...

Nutty in a good way!!!

The Blights said...

You're a machine.

I don't know much about running, but I know all about chili. I know for sure it was the chili that got you through. That stuff is a miracle food. :)

See yeah Sunday. Wear a pretty suit, we're having a video taken! :)

Paul said...

Nice Blog. I always say to myself when I need a break from Tri's I'll start running ultras. Honestly, blogging about the ultra was much better right? :)

-Paul

Anne said...

You really nailed some of the motivations for doing what we do and the influence that blogging can have on the races we choose.

admin said...

Hi there,we have a saying in germany that goes like this: wer nicht schnell kann, muss lange laufen.

Ask yourself:What are your goals?
a new 5k PB or another Ultra-Run. You are on a path with two directions - which one will you follow?
If it's the path I think you'll take, you should rename your blog from e-speed to e-long or something.
You'll loose your speed when you train like you do, but it's the fun that really matters, have a nice week, Marcus

tri-mama said...

Wow, 31 miles! Yea, it was worth doing it just to blog about :-)

Rae said...

AND, you're a machine!! Why not run the whole thing????