Week 1- Pig Training Run Down

I think the week went pretty well. Haven't had much time to post but hopefully at a minimum I will be able to sum up every week here.

Monday- Rest Day
Tuesday- 4 miles treadmill
Wednesday- Rest Day
Thursday- 2700 yard swim, 75 minutes yoga
Friday- 6 mile treadmill
Saturday- ~2 hours 15 minutes on the trail, about 13 miles
Sunday- 2550 swim

Not quite as many workouts as I am hoping to get in and I was short 2 miles on Tuesday's run but I am really pleased that I got in three runs and 2 good swims.

I learned on Tuesday that initially I am going to have to lower expectations on the treadmill workouts. I decided to try and go out at my goal pace 7:03 for 2 miles and felt like absolute crap and instead of scaling back the pace a bit to still get in the workout I just blew up. Forced out 4 miles with about 1 mile at 7:04-7:34 pace. Not so great.

Wednesday I hit the snooze too many times and missed my swim. But I made it up Thursday morning. Picked out a shorter workout and headed to the pool. I was really happy to make all my sets on the fast send offs despite my arms feeling like crap when I first started the workout. I was doing 200s on a 4:00 send off, all around 3:30 and the 100 pulls right around 1:45.

Thursday night I participated in my first yoga class with Jen and Trisaratops and one of my coworkers. I really enjoyed the class. I almost got one of my feet behind my head! Not bad for my first time. Although I was caught a few times doing a pose with the wrong arm etc. Ooops! I loved the relaxation time at the end and felt really good when I left the class that night. I will be making this a regular thing now.

Friday I headed over to Jens' gym to get in my speed workout. I backed the pace way off my goal and opted for 10 seconds slower than marathon pace, marathon pace, and then 10 seconds faster than marathon pace instead of 6:29 which may have killed me and also left me upset rather than really pleased with the workout which I was. I was impressed I could stay on that damn treadmill that long without blowing up. Progress!

After the run I headed out to a party with my Cleveland Triathlon Club peeps. Had a good time and ate way too much pizza and pretzel bread (And I was so good the rest of the week!)
















Saturday morning I woke up early and headed out onto the trails. This was the first time I ran on real trails in the snow. It was much better than I imagined and I had a really good time. Only slipped once and managed to finish the run with about a pound of snow/mud balls attached to my pants and shoes. Really got me thinking about never running roads again ;) (Wished I had a camera along to share some of the bautiful scenery, snow covered pines and trickling frozen water crossings, but hey, if you don't get out there and run I guess you don't get to see it for yourself!)

Saturday afternoon I picked up my two sorority sisters and we headed to an alumni dinner at my alma mater. The actives did a really nice job with the event and I feel bad for anyone who missed out. It was a lovely time and I enjoyed catching up with some of my sisters.

















I was up bright and early this morning after little sleep and on my way to Oberlin for a swim class. I picked up Sam B and we made our way to the pool. When we got there I was excited to hear they would be video taping us all individually swimming and was super glad I didn't sleep in instead. Of course they only ended up getting through half the people so I will have to wait another few weeks for my analysis but I am looking forward to that. We worked a bit with drills today and then did some pacing and hard effort sets. I was right on the money with my 200s today and very happy considering how tired I was. Of course it helped that a new speedster was in our lane who literally caught and passed me on one of the 200s. Nothing like that to motivate you to move along. 6*200 pull 3:10, 3:14, 3:14, 3:11, 3:10, 3:07. I was really surprised after Thursdays 200s being at 3:30 but very happy. Our last set was 4*25, 2*50, 100 all at about 90% effort, all supposed to be at the same pace. I went out at a pace I thought I could hold for the 100 at the end but damn if that effort didn't take everything out of my arms! I had to pretend I was in the Olympics to squeak out the 100 even close to pace. 19,18,19,19,40,39,81

Week 1 complete!

Hope everyone had as good a week as mine! Congrats to Su on her half mary PR. Rockin girl! Looks like those wicked fast treadmill splits are paying off!

18 comments:

Kate said...

Wow- you're one speedy swimmer!

Sounds like a great week training

Anonymous said...

Now, that's a busy week!

Anonymous said...

That looks like an awesome week's workout; I'm starting to feel like a slacker now. Glad to hear the first yoga class went well - I've always thought about trying it, but never have the nerve ... I don't want to seem like "that" guy.

Toasty said...

sooooooooweeeeeeeeet!

get it? pig training .... no? ..... oh well, i try

Anonymous said...

Yay for week 1! The relaxation part is always my favorite part of yoga too.

Anonymous said...

You had a busy 1st week. Great job on the swimming. "Pig training", I like that title.

Anonymous said...

I was so bummed to miss the dinner....but it's such a long way to Rochester and my car decided it would break the transmission on Thursday, so it was a no-go for me. I'm glad you had a good time and seeing that picture of you all made me smile! =)

I'm thinking I might try and make it for Hell Night if I can convince Heidi to come with me. Are you going to be there?

Love you!

Erin

Anonymous said...

You are a speedy swimmer!

I look forward to Yoga on Thursday!

Bolder said...

i totally need to join a tri team.

you have TOOOOO much fun!

Janet Edwards said...

Way to go on a very productive week!!!!

So bummed I missed the party Friday! I hope I will be able to make it bowling this week!

Anonymous said...

excellent photo from the alumnae dinner! :) I have to say, I'm continuously amazed by all the things you manage to fit into a week. it's inspirational - honestly.
Now yoga... I think I could manage that one. :)
Best wishes to you!
love and violets
*nena*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out (and instant message)! And, those swim's kick butt!

Anonymous said...

you guys dress like it's cold or something.

there is a guy where i pool run and he swims with a snorkle so he doesn't waste time turning. now you can smoke the speedster.

Trisaratops said...

Yoga was so fun! Pity me as I'll be on a bus to Connecticut with a bunch of teenagers during class. So not OM.

Who are all those HAWT chicks in your pics?! hee hee :)

Anonymous said...

hey girl you go to Oberlin to swim that's so cool, that area is my ol' stompin grounds my parents and brother live in LaGrange

runliarun said...

Oh - and I thought I was busy.

Rae said...

Why can't you Clevelanders share some snow with us????

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Great job this week! Good to see you Sunday! I plan to join you guys for yoga this week too!