Bottomless Apple Pie

While I did not take a photo this time I will take the time out to describe my most recent baking endeavor for those that are lacking sweets in their life (See comments on previous post).

My last baking extravaganza was for Christmas with my loving mother watching over me. I successfully made an apple and pumpkin pie and declared myself a domestic diva. So when I had a few apples laying around and a friend over Sunday I decided it was time to try and recreate the baking magic sans mother.

Everything seemed to be in order, other than it taking a lot longer since I didn't have anyone to peel, core, and pare the apples for me. I was jamming out to Suzanne Vega and Tracy Chapman while bopping around the kitchen. Crust seemed to be just fine and I actually purchased a rolling pin this time around so there was no improvising. Got my bottom crust in and began the layering of apples, sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Was a little more scientific with the butter this time and kept it to a set amount before dotting. Rolled out my top crust, added a design for flair and popped that baby in the oven. About 55 minutes later the pie was golden and done so I set it out to cool while jamming out to Guitar Hero.

About an hour later my husband took a break from our gaming to go get everyone a slice of pie. I hear him calling "Honey?" "Yes Dear?" I reply (or something of that nature). "Did you put a crust on the bottom of this pie?"

I distinctly remember putting said bottom crust on pie but upon investigation it certainly looks like I hadn't. So we all had to be content to eat bottomless apple pie, which while not quite as tasty as my Christmas pie, was not a complete failure despite being bottomless. And I'd like to state for the record that the top crust was divine.

The next night I helped myself to a piece from the other half of the pie, which thankfully seemed to still have it's bottom. So chalk that up to a baking mystery I guess! Next time I will remember the photographic evidence.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's what i love about pies: they always taste great. might not look like a blue-ribbon winner, but they always taste good (as long as the mistake isn't mixing up the salt and sugar quantities).

just tell everyone you thought if the pizza people can to half and half pizzas, then you can do moonpies (no panties) and pantiful pies in one.

sigh.

i love pie.

Anne said...

I believe after you get a scoop of bottomless apple pie it officially becomes cobbler!

Brian said...

That's funny. I can totally see you dancin' to vega and chapman. As for pie bottoms, much easier to cheat and just buy them at the store. You can lie if you want and tell people. But I find little reward for the crust bottom vs. the time it takes to make it. Plus who needs all those extra pots and pans to wash.

Irene said...

It still sounds really good! I love apple pie!

Dana said...

You can just let the hubby know that you MEANT to leave the crust out..;-)

Backofpack said...

I bet he slid the crust out and ate it, then felt guilty. Those husbands...they can be tricky when it comes to pie!

EostreEgg said...

Hahaha, I can totally picture this scene. :)

Brett S. said...

E, did you fold the pie crust in half to put it into the pie pan and then just not unfold it? My mother always folds the crust in half so it's easier to get into place and then unfolds it.

Unknown said...

bottomless apple pie = zero calories

Soapin' Cindy said...

But bottomless is a GOOD thing!

Kim said...

i would slather that all over my body with some vanilla bean ice cream.

Brian said...

red seems to always take the conversation into the gutter. Keep it up red. Sorry bad pun

Alison said...

Haha! Once I made pecan pie, which I'd made probably dozens of times before, and I forgot to add eggs for some completely unknown reason. The pie turned out more like sticky pecan brittle.

Neese said...

thats hilarious, like wtf happened to the bottom? taste is what counts tho! :D

Steph said...

That sounds yummy anyway! Apple pie (in any form) is such a wonderful food.

I have a lot of blog reading to catch up on. I hope to see you in Boston!!!!!!!

Stay warm and train hard.
-Steph