Week 4- Pig Training Run Down

Not a bad week, not a great week.

Stats:

Monday-Rest
Tuesday-6 miles treadmill (Tempo)
Wednesday- Rest
Thursday- Yoga
Friday- 5 miles treadmill (speed), 2000 yard swim
Saturday- 75 minute trainer ride
Sunday- 20 miles in the Piggy Bank

Tuesdays run went well despite the side stitch and crazy treadmill. Friday I had a repeat of the treadmill acting crazy. Why can't I make it through one speed workout where I actually get a workout summary upon finishing?

Friday was another blowup on the treadmill but I have to keep reminding myself I got in 3*1,000 at under 6:30 pace and that is good despite not finishing the other 2*1000 that FIRST called for. Started the workout with the headphones on. 2 mile warm up then straight into 0.63 miles on the treadmill at track pace with quarter mile recoveries. I thought I had 4 on tap and realized when I started I actually had 5. Ooops. Not good for the brain.

The first 2 went by great. Had some good tunes on and the pace felt tough but doable. (Treadmill was set for 9.3 mph on the first and 9.4 for the second). The third repeat I upped the pace to 9.5 and took off the headphones. The cord was annoying me. Bad move. This repeat was tough. I backed off the pace significantly for the quarter recovery and when I started into the 4th somehow about 25 seconds in I hit the stop button on the treadmill. Of course I was peeved. The treadmill reset with no sign of the previous 4 and three quarter miles. Lovely. I ramped back up the pace with intention of completing the 4th interval. Got it up to .96 but after a quarter mile ramped it down and walked for 5 minutes then headed to the pool. Mentally I was tapped. (Of course when I hit stop this time the treamill reported back to me my workout summary, wonderful)

Got into the pool and did 300 warm up, 8*50 on one minute send offs, 200, 8*50 on 55 second send offs, 200, 8*50 on 50 second send offs, then a 100 cool down.

The swim was fine and I was suprised by a group of girls who complimented me on my stroke. Made me realize how lucky I am I can swim and run so well and I shouldn't beat myself up over 2,000 missed meters of running.

Saturday was full of house chores. I did all the dishes, about 7 loads of laundry, vacuumed, and finally took the recycleables to the drop off site (They filled my entire car). There was a sign there saying they will be starting curb side pick up back up on March 1st, I certainly hope so because the drop off site is a pain! Picked up Little Miss Sunshine for my trainer ride, got some cat food, and headed to the running store to pick up a face mask for Sundays long run in the snow. Unfortunately they were out so I settled for a pearl izumi cap (lost my other one).



Sunday woke up early and headed down to Peninsula for my long run with Daisy Duc. It was cold but I overdressed for it. I had to strip my jacket and gloves within the first mile. The first half of the run went really great. We were right around my FIRST paces despite the towpath being covered in snow and it being so cold. Unfortunately I got a bit tired after that and couldn't hold pace. I was glad to have some company but felt bad knowing I was holding her back. Eventually we got back to the cars and snapped a shot before I headed out for my last three miles. I swear that was the first time ever I started to feel old. I bent over to throw my coat into the car and I felt like my back may never straighten again. Uggh. Not a fun feeling!

Icy Pigtails

But I got the run done only 6 minutes over my usual 20 mile runs at 3 hours 6 minutes. 9:20 pace so I have a bit of work to do but I'm not too far off the 8:45 pace I should be at for long runs.

Sunday night we headed out to David's annual work party. It was nice seeing everyone. Especially his old boss and wife. David has worked for them since he was 14 on and off so they treat us just like family. The food was great and I indulged in some nachos and a seafood garlic bread concoction but was good the rest of the evening and ordered a chicken, tomato and basil salad. Very yummy (after I sent it back to remove the blue cheese, I can't stand blue cheese).



I was short a swim this week and didn't manage to sneak in any pilates. Need to work on that for sure. I am trying to do a handful of push ups every morning and then work on my tripod pose for yoga. It only takes a minute and at least I feel like I have done a minimal amount of excercise every morning :)

11 comments:

D said...

You have been BUSY Elizabeth! Our Y just put in new treadmills and one day I'm in there running and I was trying to look at my speed and I kept hitting the pause button. . UGH. I did it several times. That so messes up a run. (I also looked like a complete idiot!)

Janet Edwards said...

The FIRST workouts really are tough, but I figure the difficulty is bound to pay off in the end! Had a blast running with you Sunday!

Brian said...

Another awesome week! You go girl!! Can't wait until Chili Bowl this weekend!

A. M. Mericsko said...

I love blue cheese!!!! Give it to me!!!

Rae said...

Great job with the workouts!! You guys have had some terrible weather this week! They showed a Cleveland reporter on our news, poor guy!! He kept saying how much he wished he lived in Nashville. HA!

Toasty said...

Good for you ... 20 miles is never easy.

EostreEgg said...

So I was listening to my old-timey radio station online, and "Cincinnati's Dancing Pig" came on. It made me think of you. :0)

RunBubbaRun said...

Looks like you had a busy training week. The treadmill will come around, they have a mind of their own sometimes. Just kick it a couple of times and show who is boss.

qcmier said...

I miss the Boston store along the Towpath. Didn't think you were using the FIRST plan. Possible PR at the Pig?

Ginger Breadman said...

Hey, don't revisit the treadmill fiasco too much - it's only a computer after all. Besides, you do an amazing amount of balance keeping your variety of workouts in check.

Steve Stenzel said...

Icy Pigtails ROCK!