Chili Bowl 5K Race Report

I decided to look back at some of my high school splits before I confirmed my pleasure in running a pretty even split race today. It turns out I was right and today was the first race I ever came close to running even splits. WooHoo. That's the kind of progress I can get behind. Now I just have to work to make those splits oh about 40 seconds faster ;)



As you can see my coach Freshman and Junior year kept a very detailed log. My Junior and Senior year we were stuck with just our time but I am fairly confident I ran all of those races in a similar manner to my previous two years, just a bit more slowly. I can't find my 98 results at all but I think they were fairly similar to the year before. College I broke 22 about twice so I live with the fact that I don't have the results, it's like they never happened! (Although I do wish someone would have told me that when I was an old runner I would have liked to have all those splits, I never kept a log in high school or college, and I wish I could look back at what I was doing then now, oh well!)

It was cold out this morning. When I left it was 12 degrees, with the windchill it felt like 0 F. Perfect running weather!

I got to the race early and registered than sat around until about 9 and headed out with some friends for a 20 minute warm up. Daisy Duc, Solar Squirrel & T, and one of my CTC buddies joined me. It started to snow like mad on our way back in, just enough to cover the road with a nice slippery coating. Picked up Dr. Louis a few minutes before the start then headed in for the pre race huddle. The race started a bit late so we stood around a few more minutes than I would have liked, but what are you going to do?

I went back and forth on my race plan but decided I wanted to aim for 7 minute pace and hopefully run with Daisy Duc and Solar Squirrel, then kick it in the last .1 to try and sneak in under 21:37 to get Daisy Duc a PR. FIRST had a 3 mile tempo run at 7:03 pace for me this week so I figured this was a good way to get that in and practice running a 5K where I don't go out 30-60 seconds too fast in the first mile.

Well we took off and Daisy Duc was hustling! I decided to reel it in and Solar Squirrel and I fell into a comfortably hard pace and watched as Daisy glided away. I was worried about being too slow but we came around the first corner and hit the first mile right on at 7:00. I was glad and felt like this was doable, maybe I could even pick it up the third mile. The second mile of this race always feels slow to me but I forced myself not to look at the watch today, except at the mile markers, and the 2nd mile I felt surprisingly strong, so I was a bit disappointed to come through that one at 7:14. After the second mile I started picking off a few runners. Passed two girls and got passed by one. Better than getting passed by 2 I guess :) It was windy in the last mile and there is an out and back that requires a pivot turn which I was not graceful or quick at. We got back to the Country Club drive and I hit mile 3 in 7:00. I knew last year the .1 was long so I figured I should hold back on my kick a bit but I erred. The .1 was right on this year and I didn't quite get enough time to reel back in the girl who had passed me. I crossed the mat at 21:57 (Official time 21:53.10, 7:04 pace) My stomach was not happy at all and I was sure I was going to lose my breakfast. But of course within a minute I felt fine and was peeved I hadn't run harder. Ces't la vie.

Chatted with BWhit and cheered for Solar Squirrel who was right on my tail then congratulated Daisy Duc on her PR. She crushed the course today in 20:45 and won our age group. I was so impressed. A PR by almost a minute for her. Go over to her blog and tell her great job!

I headed out for my cool down and caught my friend B and we chatted. She had her Garmin on and it turns out the second mile was about .1 long so I was closer to even splits than I thought!

It was definitely humbling this year not getting an age group award, and I can't deny being a bit disappointed. But I ran the race I said I was going to and I broke 22 which was my stated goal. Sometimes running a blazing fast race just isn't in the cards, and perhaps you have to slow down a bit before you can build back to the speedster you want to be.

On super positive notes, after the race my legs felt great. I felt like I could have kept up the same pace for another 5K, which is awesome. I did a 20 minute easy cool down and felt like if I wanted to I could have kept going all day. I now know where I am at and I know what I want to work towards. I feel fitter than I have felt in a long time. I feel tone and flexible and am completely happy with my body (women you know how fleeting that feeling can be!) for the first time in a long time. And who can complain about that?

Check in on some of the other bloggers who toughed the cold today (This is to make sure they actually get up those race reports soon, even if they don't though stop by and tell them great job)! Mike, BWhit, DaisyDuc, B, Charlie


Fogged up post race photo. Note to self, don't leave camera in the car when it is below freezing and expect good pics!
More Pics to come in the weekly Run Down!

15 comments:

Jodi said...

Great race! Wow, Janet killed it, too- you gals are amazing. I wish I had a fraction of your speed!

Rock on girl!

Jodi

Trisaratops said...

Yay!

Way to run even splits! :)

Kim said...

wow, great race! i cannot believe you have your track logs from high school, looks like you have always been quite the speed demon!

Janet Edwards said...

Way to runa nice even race and accomplish what you had set out to do!

Glad to get to hang with you for the race as you just have such awesome positive energy!

Michele said...

Congrats on a great race. Just the fact you got out and ran in that weather is huge to me!

Neese said...

WOW! that is an impressive pace you surely ranked high overall. Awesome girl, just awesome. Now the burning question...did they have bowls of chili there? :)

Anonymous said...

congrats, liz. 7 min/m are NOTHING to be ashamed of...and like you said, even is the way to go. and most importantly, you had fun!

seeing that picture made me miss you guys a lot. hope to see you soon...

Charlie said...

Great race today.You were in a very competitive division. I felt strong and fast and I never got near ya.
3.1, 31, you are having a terrific start to the season.
Continued success.
Congatulations

RunBubbaRun said...

Great job on the race..

You ladies are fast...

Dubs said...

Great job on the even splits and getting the time you wanted. Awesome logs - I'm feeling old - all of my race results were on paper - wish I could have had spreadsheets and things I could have gotten copies of and saved. Those will be great to view down the road.

Awesome job!! Woo hoo!

JenC said...

Great job on the even splits! E-speed rides again!!

DV said...

looking back at your hs #'s, you haven't lost a bit of speed even 10 years later - amazing consistency!

Cliff said...

Espeed, way to go.

I like that blurry effects from the frozen camera :)

Anonymous said...

i'm sort of offended that you're reminding me that you were in high school in the late nineties. have you no shame?!

i think it's great to be 10 years away from certain times and still quite close. i think you've forgotten that you're supposed to be falling a part.

entertain me... just once or twice say, "oh, but my bunyons were killing me and my sciatica..oy!"

Rae said...

Awesome job!!! That's a cold race!!!