Week 3- Pig Training Run Down

Missed my long run this week. It just wasn't in the cards. I had my mind all made up to get the 17 miles in on the treadmill but I just ran out of time on Sunday. Minus that disappointment the week went really well. I also don't feel too bad about missing the long run. Being that I did the 50K last weekend I think my endurance is coming along just fine.

Stats:
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 6 mile run. Super snowy and cold. Ended up with about 2.5 miles hard, the rest easy pace.
Wednesday: Pilates 34 minutes
Thursday: Yoga 75 minutes
Friday: 44 minute treadmill run & 43 minute swim
Saturday: 75 minute trainer ride
Sunday: 2550 yard swim

Highlights:

Fridays run was pretty brutal. The treadmill got all wacky at some point and reset twice so I don't know my total distance, but it was around 4.75. (all repeats were supposed to be followed by 200 meter rest, this was usually estimated as I can't track 0.125 miles on the treadmill) The workout went like this:

9:44 mile warm up
5:18, 1200
1:21, rest
4:07, 1000
1:35, rest
3:13, 800
1:04, rest
2:22, 600
1:36, rest
1:36, 400
1:27, rest
45.35, 200
5 minute cool down

These weren't too far off the FIRST paces I am supposed to run so I was really happy with this. I basically ran each at the pace that FIRST recommended for the next distance up. So 800 was run at about 1000 pace, give or take a few seconds for the limits of running on a treadmill.

The swim followed right after and I ignored the fact that the pool was about 90 degrees and extremely cloudy. Better off not asking why the pool isn't crystal clear. I got in 2100 yards with a 1000 yard pull starting easy 200 and increasing effort to the end. Highlight of the workout was an attempt at 25 yards underwater. I only made it about 15. So sad. When I was a kid I could almost get around the perimeter of the pool!

Sundays swim was with my tri training group. We did a 20 minute time trial and I really felt great. I counted 1350-1400 but my lane partners counted 1300 so I erred on the side of modesty and turned in 1300 to the coaches. I had to pass both my lane partners around 600 yards so it is possible I tacked on an extra 50 there with confusion. I think I need to learn better passing etiquette as I had to try several times to get by the leader. I wasted a ton of effort and then about 200-300 after passing I kept feeling a tap on my toes so I ended up letting him pass me back. I should have just laid back and drafted the whole time! I was surprised how good I felt. The first 500 I was consistently swimming 1:30 pace. I guess swimming in a pool that isn't a billion degrees helps my pace.

I am a bit worried about it though since this pace will determine my swim workouts over the next couple months. Keeping that pace at the Y will be much different than doing it at the groups pool. I am glad to know though that the temperature of the water does affect your pace.

I am really pleased with the week. The treadmill is still my mental weakness. It would be so easy to slow down the pace or just get off and call it a day. Every day I get through the workout on that darned thing counts as a small victory in my book!

12 comments:

Ginger Breadman said...

I love your training mentality. You have normal goals, but your training regiment is truly your own, and you're confident in it. That's what makes it work. The pool temperature is intriguing. Last time we were at the pool, my husband had me feel his head after he had done some laps - amazing how much heat was coming off of it - different perspective being in the water at any temperature than on a bike or out running.

CJ said...

I admire you getting on a dreadmill and staying on! I can't even bring myself to get on it. And reading your swimming workout just reminded me that its been months since i last got in the pool. I'd probably sink now.

Brian said...

Great week! You're attacking the FIRST program the right way... cross training on the off days. You're going to have an awesome PIG!!

A. M. Mericsko said...

You go girl!! When are we going to Sullivans for drinks again??

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Nice workouts, E-Speed! And great swim - wow, a 1:30 is awesome!

Michele said...

We did the 25 underwater last night too. I didn't make it either.
Great job on the treadmill. I agree that any workout on that things counts as a victory.

RunBubbaRun said...

Great workout.

I think I'm one of the few who likes the treadmill. It beats running in the cold these days.

Steven said...

Nice job sticking with it on the dreadmill.

I try to avoid those things at all costs.

Keep it going!

Donald said...

The underwaters somehow got tougher once we got older. You really used to make it around the perimeter? Amazing.

Anonymous said...

you're a focused woman!

i can't believe you don't yell shark when you get touched in the water. it's all i can think of if touched in the water.

Black Knight said...

Great job and I admire you for the runs on the dreadmill!

Jodi said...

ugh. 90 degree pools are horrible. The pool at my parent's house is consistently >85 and it is so hard to keep up the intensity.

Great time trial. You certainly are speedy! That will pay off this season for sure!

Jodi