Biggest Month Ever!

So I reached 245 miles this month. I know that's nothing for all those Lydiard fans, but it's huge for me. Prior to this month my biggest month was 208 way back in October. I know I can't train like this year long but it has definitely opened my eyes a bit to my potential. Three years ago I upped my mileage to 50-55 miles per week and got ITB problems so fast I wrote off high mileage entirely, assuming my body just couldn't take it and that the Tri lifestyle was the best way for me to go. Well I am glad I decided to tackle a few ultras and that I finally realized my body can handle a bit more now than it could three years ago.

All this mileage definitely has me feeling strong. My paces are faster than ever, and many days I start to wonder just what my true potential is. Then I freak out and doubt enters in :) I'm entering into the taper phase and those surging feelings of self doubt and self confidence come and go quickly. I don't want to limit myself, but I also don't want to have unrealistic expectations and be disappointed. I usually seem to set realistic goals for the marathon and have only come up short twice. But I sometimes wonder if I had set those goals higher would I have done better...

I think this taper is going to be one of my roughest tapers yet :)

I just need to remind myself come mile 20 of the marathon that I have been there, done that, and this time I am ready to do it better than ever before. I've put in the training and I am more ready than I have ever been. Like Salty tells me I just need to trust in the training. (Why is that so hard for us to do when the race gets closer?)

15 comments:

Brett S. said...

Congrats on reaching another new level. You will do great. I can't believe that three years ago you swore off high mileage. Maybe there is hope for the rest of us who have only been doing this for a short time.

Good luck. I'm sure you won't have any problems. Just think of all the new friends you'll have found by mile 20.

The Salty One said...

A good goal is a balance of reality and ambition. Add just a touch more ambition, and I think you'll be good to go ;)

Brian said...

I would go by the book and cut back by percentages each week. This way, you're still getting part of the high-mileage you're used to. Don't change what's been working for you. Remember 1/2 of this game is mental! Good luck!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Dang!! You are one of the strongest chics I know of!! I can't wait to see how you do at Boston! One of my running buddies is going to be there, too!

Brian said...

plus, the faster you run in training, the less you'll have to run with me.

You'll rock in boston.

Unknown said...

wooohooo! way to go E!!

that's a big month in anyone's book.

enjoy the taper. just don't start twitching. ;)

Backofpack said...

You will be great! At this point, as Eric says, "the hay is in the barn". Meaning the training is done and waiting for use - and I am confident that you'll be great!

duchossois said...

Much respect. Those aren't just 245 miles, those are 245 miles in frigid Cleveland winter conditions, through what might have been the worst March weather ever recorded here. You ran through extreme cold, and snow, and ice, and wind, and darkness.

SERC has some tough runners, and you are among the toughest.

solarsquirrel said...

I think at this point it's 90% mental, and you've got the mindset completely down. You're gonna ROCK - no question. PR. In the bag.

Anonymous said...

way to go! that's awesomely amazing!!!

Irene said...

Woohoo!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW 245 miles! YOU ROCK!

B Bop said...

Dang E!! That's some pretty serious mileage!

It's gotta give you a mental boost to know that you could run the Boston course and then turn around and run it backwards, no?

Dream Chaser said...

Are your shoes holding up as well as you are?

Unknown said...

GREAT read! I needed it too! After 2 marathons and really bonking I loved reading about you upping your mileage. I'm pushing for my first 50+ miles and I'm interested to see what happens. It's great to read about someone like you that just keeps pushing. Don't STOP!