Whirlwind Weekend

The short of it is I completed my first marathon as a pacer this weekend 11 seconds ahead of pace, finishing in 1:49:49, not too shabby. It was a rough marathon to pace because it was a lot of rollers mixed in with a couple long winding hills. On top of that we were pacing half and full marathoners and needed to deliver the halfers to just before mile 12 on pace so they could run even the rest of their way. I think this was probably a bit hard on the marathoners as it would have been nice to make up time from the two major hills in the early miles slowly over the next ten miles rather than having to hit miles 11 and 12 right on pace. Knowing that, I scrapped the course adjusted pace band and wore an even split pace band with the knowledge that we would have some fast and some slower miles with the hills and that I would have to get to 12 right on target with that pace band. I had a large group at the start and up through about 23 miles and then it seemed wheels started falling off. I managed to get 4 runners in under 3:51, at least one of which qualified for Boston. I was disappointed for those that didn't make their goal, but was encouraged by them thanking me after they did finish for my hard work. I just wish I could have pulled them through with me. Thank you to all the runners that stuck with me through any of the miles yesterday. You are all awesome and you did a great job on a tough but beautiful course.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! We are so proud of you! Knew you would do an excellent job and have a great time doing it. Keep up the great work and we hope to see you in the Turkey Trot. Oceans of Love, Aunt Liss

JenC said...

Wow, I was impressed with myself for running fairly even 9:23-9:30 paced miles on Saturday in my half, but what you did was incredible! Great job!

Janet Edwards said...

I had no doubt you would be an awesome pacer!!! I am certain they were a lucky bunch to have you leading them!

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

B Bop said...

Nice job! I suppose we now have evidence that you are deserving of all the swoosh gear you were given for your efforts.

PNW Runner said...

I alway admire those that take on that responsibility, but you pulled it off well. Great job!

Anonymous said...

way to go!

Soapin' Cindy said...

I would love you to pace me in a marathon. Those lucky ducks!

Lloyd said...

Yes!

Great job, pacer.

On a course like that, its common for the pack to fall apart at the end. You did your job and no doubt you helped a bunch.

Now, how was the Nike Women's 26.2?

Charlie said...

Sounds like a great time. Congrats on helping those runners reach there goal. For me this is really what it is all about. You are a great part of the running community.