Pacing the Nike Womens Marathon

I was a bit nervous at the start especially faced with a rather large group lined up right behind me. I answered questions. It would have been impossible to remember all the names but I did my best to try to remember faces. I had a lot of half marathoners at the start and I made sure to go over how we would be running targeting their exact overall pace at their turn off. I talked about my plan of running even effort miles. On a hilly course it would be impossible to hit even mile splits. The group seemed to like that plan and after some quick sizing up where I was asked my PR we lined up and listened to the Star Spangled Banner. Then it was only a few minutes before the start. I made sure to let me group know there was a corral between the elites and us which would have runners of various paces, not our own. They had a Club Run corral which was made up of runners who had trained together for the marathon. It was a nice idea but it made for a very rough start. I warned my runners not to waste energy weaving back and forth and to make sure not to trip.

I had studied the course adjusted pace band and was planning to wear both that and an even pace band to keep track. But at the expo a runner came by wanting a pace band and she was 3:50 so I gave her my pre printed course adjusted band. I remembered most of it and it was somewhat irrelevant as the whole second half of the race would be off as we had to hit the half right on even pace. From memory I knew the first mile was supposed to be fast. Tell that to the crowds! We started and it was apparent immediately that we would have to do some wading to get back up to pace. I put on my best authoritative voice and ran pretty much up the middle. "Pace group on your left. Coming up right behind you. 3:50 pace group coming through." I noted that I should use this trick in my own races :) People mostly moved for us but I am guessing I lost a lot of half marathoners in this first mile shuffle.

Once we got to the wharf things spread out a little bit and we could move. The view opened up and we pretty much watched the sun rise over the Golden Gate Bridge. Seriously breathtaking. The next two miles were a little quick but our 5k pace was right on target. (After reviewing mile splits and the course and a few other pacers splits I think the 5k paces are a better reflection of performance, the individual miles with the ups and downs made it hard to hit every mile right on). The section through here had trolley tracks so I made sure everyone was careful of their footing. We reached the first water stop and I slowed to grab water. It was still crowded so I didn't walk. I announced there were bathrooms on the right and let my runners know that if they needed to use one they should catch up slowly over the next mile. Made sure to promote hydration as it would get hot later! *edited to add:* I completely forgot that right after this one of our runners shoes came completely off. I had to yell for her not to sprint to catch up, just like if she had made a bathroom stop. I was shocked. This has happened to me in a muddy cross race, but never on the roads! I felt so bad for her. I wonder how she did after this, it was still so crowded so I really don't know if she ever caught back up to us. *end of addition*

We made our way up our first steep but short incline and into a little park with a winding path. I started going over the marathons I had done (per request). It was hard to remember them all on the fly and I actually forgot about Cleveland (maybe I subconsciously meant to leave that one out) and laughed about it in a later mile. The next three miles were quick. The scenery was great, lots of lovely trees. This 5k was fast for all the pacers I looked at. Must have been mostly downhill. But it was good as we were about to make a significant climb.

Mile 6 started a long winding climb. I told my group to watch their breathing. If it is labored you are pushing too hard. We want to feel like we are running flat. Taught them my little trick about looking about two feet in front of your feet so that it looks like you are running flat. The hill actually wasn't bad. Similar to my regular Sunday hill but a bit steeper. On the way up we passed a free oxygen bar. No time to stop though! We made it up the hill a little faster than I expected but not too fast. On the way up my friend TS from TNT spotted me and cheered. It was nice to see a familiar face out there!

Once we got to the top it was time to come down. This mile was fun! The trees here were amazing and you looked out to your right over the ocean and beautiful hills beyond. Best view ever! I took it easy down the hill. Saving my marathoners quads for later. It was funny as we would go up I would lose one of the half marathoners and on each downhill she would go blazing past us. The next few miles had some steep climbs. I knew they were going to be there but I underestimated them, I thought they would be rollers, but they were short steep climbs through some residential areas. I thought the architecture was neat here and was pleasantly surprised by an orange stop here. I had thought there would only be luna products and bananas out on the course.

We picked up a male runner around mile 9 who is training for his first 50 in two weeks. So that gave me the chance to talk ultras. We discussed 100 miles, Burning River, the spartathlon, pretty much all running extremes :) This talk got us through to the half marathon split before 12. I hollered for my half girls and was disappointed to find I only had one! But she looked great and we were right on target for her. I am confident she finished in style and on time.

At this point the full marathoners headed on an out and back. This allowed viewing of the leaders. We cheered for the other pace groups as we headed to our own turn around before mile 14. We hit the half right on target 1:55:15. Miles 11-15 were all uphill but my group was doing great. Our hard work was rewarded with a beautiful tall waterfall on the right before mile 15. About the hundredth time I wished for a camera that morning. Around 15.5 we re-merged with the half marathoners before heading into the Nike+ tunnel which was kind of neat. You ran through and they displayed sample run graphs and they were playing Just Lose It by Eminem as we ran through and heard Lance Armstrong congratulate us on our workout. I joked that now that our workout was done it was time to get to work. It was work to get through this section. We went from having a lot more room and just seeing the occasional group of marathon walkers on the right to merging with what felt like thousands of half marathoners about to finish their race.

Once we were clear of the half marathoners we headed out onto the great highway. We had an amazing view of the ocean and a very cool old windmill. I love the landscape here. It looked like miniature versions of the badlands set right on the ocean with enormous hills in the background. The waves looked huge and it was fun to watch them come in to shore.

This was when I knew the race would start to get tough for my group. We were out in the open now, the sun was shining, and spectators were sparse. Around mile 18 is where I started to lose a few runners. This was right before we started to head around Lake Merced. We picked up a few newcomers and I was elated to have such a large group still. The miles around Lake Merced seemed to drag a bit despite having shade. I encouraged my runners to enjoy the shade while we had it! The lake was beautiful and I picked up a few local runners who said we were having some of the best weather they had had in quite awhile. Apparently the rains earlier in the week had cleared up the air for us.

Around mile 20 we picked up an Ironman who had done Coeur dAlene and a TNT marathoner who was struggling a little bit. We were doing really well on overall pace and I encouraged them to stick with us. When we hit mile splits I would announce how close we were to pace and I would let runners know that my watch was about 1 minute behind the clocks and if they had started behind me they were actually ahead of 3:50 pace. Runners started asking about the next water stop here and I told them I was pretty sure the next one was around 21. It was getting hot and we were all thirsty including myself. We made it to the aid station at 21 and I let everyone know we were walking the station and to get sufficient nutrition and fluids.

I talked a lot in here about relaxing and shaking out your arms and shoulders. Runners were struggling a bit but I was glad to see some of them reviving. Mile 24 marked the last hill and our re-entrance to the Great Highway. This was great as it meant we only had 2 more miles to go! I lost the majority of my group on the climb to 24 despite easing the pace a bit. I was down to two women who were right with me. We encouraged all those we passed and cheered for those on the other side of the highway. I saw a hula girl whose outfit matched one of my group who had fallen behind. I yelled to her that if she saw her friend she needed to encourage her a lot and let her know how great she was doing. I think my direct quote was "If you see Erin you holler really loud for her!" She assured me she would.

We picked up a male runner in the last few miles who stuck with us to the finish. One of the ladies was having spasms in her thigh. I told her that it is common and that if it was me I'd just run with it. Keep the pace even and hopefully it wouldn't seize. I told her the pain would be worth it when she finished under 3:50. The wind really kicked up here and I was having trouble with my sign. One of the ladies actually "drafted" off of me because of the wind. Not sure how much wind I can block but I held my sign to try and make myself wider :) I kept knocking my legs with the pole as it was hard to hold the sign up in the wind.

About a half mile from the finish the lady with spasms asked how much further and I was elated to respond to her knowingly that we had less than 5 minutes! I really did like the fact that as a pacer I totally knew exactly how long it would be before we finished. Gives you a sort of piece of mind. I watched for the 26 mile marker to gauge pace but alas there was no sign! As we neared the finish line I encouraged the lady with spasms to finish strong and I came into the finish alone. I held my sign up and smiled for photographers. The announcers were kind "Here comes 3:50 right on target," but I felt foolish as no one was right with me! One lady had pulled ahead and the guy and gal that were with me came in just a little behind. I was glad to see the TNT girl who had struggled blow by me at the finish line. 3:49:49. Had I realized there was a "closest to the pin" award I might have eased off a bit at the finish and tried to urge a few more people in that were close to me but I was under the impression that I needed to be within 30 seconds under the goal and looking at my watch as I neared the finish line I knew that was where I was at.

As I crossed I walked and thanked the nice gentleman in a tux offering me a blue box wrapped in white ribbon. I found the lady who had spasmed and gave her the 3:50 sign as a souvenir. We chatted a bit and I wandered around talking to any of my group that I saw. I pulled one lady to a BQ and that made me really happy. She had been to Boston before but hadn't raced a marathon in 6 years and needed to make it so she could go with a friend who already qualified this year.

My feet and legs were incredibly sore. I took a banana and two smoothies to try and ease the threatening cramps. My energy levels were great but 26 miles of pavement is 26 miles of pavement regardless of pace. Several of my runners who didn't make the goal found me and I expressed that they did such an awesome job out there. It really was a tough course. One that I would do for fun but probably not as a PR attempt or even a BQ attempt. I was really pleased with my performance on the hills but I could easily see how racing those would do quite a number on you. Most of the runners I saw assured me they would email Pacer Jim to let him know they loved having a pacer, even those who didn't make it in with me, which made me feel really good. I'd love to go back if they'd have me. Despite not getting more people in it was worth it to help just one person get a PR or a BQ and to help others push hard for as long as they could.

After wandering around and trying to find my roomie I headed to the buses to get my gear. It took them awhile but I finally got my goods. I treated myself to a short dip in the ocean pools just off shore. It was cold!!! But it felt great on my incredibly sore feet and lower back and thighs. We got in line for the buses which we thought would take forever but actually zipped along pretty quickly. I looked pretty silly wandering around barefoot but I couldn't find a shower for my sandy feet. I rode back with two other pacers and both said it was a rough day out there. The course was just really hard to pace on. After a quick but extremely satisfying shower I headed down to mingle with the other pacers before hitting the town. Every pacer I talked too said it was rough out there which made me feel good. I was happy with my overall performance but nervous pacer Jim would be upset that all my miles weren't right on. Turns out I was one of the closest to my goals (without going over) so for my first time not too shabby!

After getting ready we headed out to Macy's and Nike town for our free smoothie and some shopping. I decided to finally take the plunge and bought a running skirt since we had a $10 off coupon to Macy's. I went for the black and white one as the maroon ones with pockets were extremely short! Too short for this runners large thighs! Picked up a poster at Nike town then is was off to the sushi bar. We pigged out on sushi and wine which was delicious. I was so happy others wanted sushi as I was craving it and it hit the spot!

After sushi it was time to see the sights. I didn't have to be to the airport until 10 PM and I was going to make the most of my day! We walked through China Town, up to Coit Tower, and down along Fisherman's Wharf. I didn't get to see the sea lions but we did hear them! It was quite a hike with plenty of stairs and hills. Not too shabby on marathon legs! We got back in time to watch the Indians lose to the Sox on our way to the airport. (grr) Hopped on the red eye home and arrived in Cleveland bright eyed and bushy tailed for work at 6:30 AM!

What an amazing experience. If I get the chance again I'd definitely take a few days off next time :) Pictures and some reflections on the race to come.

10 comments:

PNW Runner said...

I think my bloglines feed thing isn't working too well. Missed alot of your recent posts.

You make the pacing job sound easy and all the exploring you did afterwards on tired legs, amazing! But nice work out there on a difficult course like that.

Kate said...

You did an amazing job! Once again, i SO wish you were my pacer this weekend. You stuck well to pace, came in at perfect time, and you really cared about your girls.

Had to laugh/cringe at the "women's" issues you discussed earlier. You poor thing!

Scott McMurtrey said...

great report. i hung with the 3:50 pace group at the portland marathon as long as i could and the pacer there wasn't nearly as helpful and encouraging as you were.

thanks for that jfk link. it was a nice boost. i'm starting to get my pre-pre-pre-race jitters. :)

admin said...

great (and long) article! Pacing a marathongroup must be a very special experience for every runner!
I'd love to run over the golden gate bridge at sunrise once! I've been two times in san fran for vacation. Maybe next time I'lltake part in the race. Go on like you do and have fun with your running.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the insights and details! Gives me lots to think about. Hey, I know a race next weekend in NY where I could use some pacer help, wanna come? Also a BQ, but for guys. Not sure how I'm gonna "talk w/ and advise" the up to 500+ runners in my group? Loved the "3:50 group passing and coming through!" You did an incredible job E!!

Anonymous said...

wow, totally cool!

Kim said...

Excellent race report and kudos on your pacing!!

For Mohican-if you get to the Covered Bridge, and want to drive to the Rock Shelter where Roy is starting the race, go through the CB and take the road to the left. You will go uphill and take the first right,it will take you to the shelter.
If you park at the CB or the Campground area, look for a sign at the edge of the woods, almost across the road from the CB. I will try and put a piece of blaze orange up there-there is no trail marking-but the trail is there! Follow the trail up the steep hill to the CB.

Rae said...

Great job pacing!! It sounds like a beautiful race!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Awesome report!! I want to do that marathon some day...but just for fun, not worried about time!

BTW - if you decide you are interested in Huntsville, you can always drive to TN and ride the rest of the way (about an hour and a half) with me!

Dori said...

Wow, Elizabeth, that was an incredible report! The runners were really lucky to have you for their pacer. After mile 14, everything was just a blur for me, so it helped to read where the different mile markers were. Congratulations!