Pacer Elizabeth and Other Not so Fun Stuff



Goofing around while trying on race day gear for the next day. Thankfully I already owned a Nike tank because a t-shirt definitely would have been too warm for this runner. And it even matched! The blue strap is my i-pod with Nike sensor, the red is our speakers. I never heard the speaker the whole race but the Nike+ did a pretty good job. 26.04 was it's final tally on miles, not too bad.

I'll just post a brief recap here of the night and morning before the race.

We had a nice pasta dinner and after working the expo all day my roommate and I were ready to crash. We got our outfits all set and headed to bed. Around 1 AM I woke up with cold and hot flashes, my insides swirling. I felt like I was going to vomit, and I was having crazy bad dreams about nothing race related. NOT GOOD! I camped out in the bathroom for an hour or so and debated a hot bath but finally felt okay enough to go back to sleep. Woke up around 2:30 to another batch of sickness. And finally in the morning at 4:45 I dealt with the last of it. I popped an Imodium and prayed everything would be okay.

Men you've been warned the rest of this post is about a ladies "moon" phase so please move along if you are easily grossed out.

I have pretty much managed to schedule every one of my road marathons during my moon phase. This was no exception. I think the combination of jet lag and starting that and eating too much just wreaked havoc on my system causing my Saturday night illness. I had pretty bad cramps all Saturday and Sunday I just focused on everything around me and was able to ignore the stomach and lower back cramps.

During the race I used a "cork" but realized very quickly that it wasn't doing it's job. As the 3:50 pacer I did not feel comfortable pulling over to take care of things. Thank goodness those shorts were maroon is all I have to say. I am really proud that I was able to run through that and not let on to anyone what was going on. I'm just glad the blood stayed on the shorts and wasn't on my legs. For all those ladies out there that this may happen too here is my normal race trick. I tape a cork to the back of my bib in case of emergency. I talked with the other pacers after the race and some of them recommended two corks side by side. I have never done that but I definitely wish I would have done something. I just hope I can salvage the shorts. I was never so happy to take a shower as I was when I got back to the hotel. For those that I missed cheering in after I finished this is the explanation for my quick rush back to the hotel.

Ahh the life of a woman marathoner.

More to come soon!

6 comments:

The Salty One said...

Yes, dark shorts have saved many an embarrassing moment for me too. Haha.

You did such an excellent job pacing. I think it's an art and it'll take you a few times to learn how to maximize the success of your pacees. But for your first time--outstanding!!!

And you looked super cute in all your nike gear outfit!

Bolder said...

you didn't have to carry that sign while you were running -- did you?

E-Speed said...

I carried that sign and 4 foot pole the whole way!

Backofpack said...

Elizabeth,
Wow, sorry you got sick! I got really sick on the trip back - a couple of hours away from home. Exactly what you described, compounded by riding in the car. I ended up in the emergency room in another town! I am past the moon stuff, so didn't have that at all. I'm pretty sure we shared a virus!

You are a hero for sticking it out and doing your job!

Irene said...

I was really living on the edge wearing a pink running skirt for this race. I always wear black or a dark color for everything you've just discussed! The shorts are save-able. Soak them in Oxy clean and water. It will take about 20 minutes to come clean, then wash in the regular laundry.

Rae said...

Oh wow!! Those issues and you still got the pace!!! Great job girl!!!! And thank goodness for dark shorts!