Vacation

Our trip to see one of my college friends Hoebag, his wife, and kids was a blast. It was nice to just get away from the "real world" for a week and lounge around. We got in a fun side trip to the Great Escape for roller coasters and water slides. That was the first time (in 7 years) that David and I have ever been to an amusement park together. A far cry from my youth when I went to Cedar Point every year. I learned that I can no longer tolerate circular rides, even the swings which I thought would be fine. I still love the water slides and coasters though.

We got there Friday night and played some Wii. I almost took out the cat when a bowling swing hit a bottle on the table. I guess there's a reason they recommend you move all close objects :)

Saturday we chilled at the pool and I got in a 30 minute jog in the shallow end. It was in the 90s and my calves were really tight so I decided a pool run would suffice. That night I went out to run but 4 minutes in a huge storm came through darkening the sky to black and threatening to strike me with lighting so I headed back.

Sunday we just lounged around the house playing Wii and eventually made our way to the park where I got in an easy 40 minute run. My intentions were to run to the track and do a workout but the track was being re rubberized so I bailed on that and just ran to and from the park. It was a good run since it was uphill the entire way there, but my calves were still tight as could be. When we got back I broke out The Stick and Hoebag's kid helped me roll out my calves. Three year olds apparently want to do everything you are doing and this was something I figured he could handle. He held one end while I held the other and rolled my calf back and forth. I also had out the ice bottle to ice my feet which he loved and tried to do the same with his juice bottle. Well at least he won't get plantar fasciatis anytime soon ;) The massage must have done the trick as Monday my legs were fine all day at Great Escape.

Tuesday I woke up late but managed to squeeze in an hour and 20 minute run before we headed to the movies. I was trying to locate the Hudson River trail but never did find it.

Wednesday I finally got my ass out of bed early and got in my long run while the guys played golf. I went out along one of the Lock roads and found some old four wheeler trails which took me along the Hudson and to some awesome waterfalls (I think Cohoes Falls). Got in an hour and half then walked over to Peebles Island with LP and ran another hour and a half on the trails there. I'm calling it at least 20 miles with the walk there. That was my longest solo run ever. The trails were fun but very runnable, I think I kept a good pace the whole run.

I took Thursday and Friday off the running. Thursday we attempted to go to the beach for some swimming but on arrival we were informed they had just closed due to lack of lifeguards. Lovely. So we headed home and broke out the slip and slide. Luckily I managed to not break anything and still get in some slip and slide fun.

Friday was the long drive home so no running. But Saturday I woke up early and headed to the Valley to run with Wild Bill. Got in a bit over 2 hours and finally got to see the Ledges and Kendall Hills. I even joined the ranks of those who have climbed through the hole. Not too shabby of a morning, got in my long run, some spelunking, some climbing, and some sightseeing all in one trip! Arrived back to a flat on GKs car and fixed that with the help of one of the LBS guys. That's the second time I've changed a flat at lock 29 for someone else. Finally arrived home and mowed the lawn and weeded the new flower bed, now I just have to scrounge up some cash to actually plant flowers in it. David and I rented The Boondock Saints Saturday night. Very interesting. Lots of use of the "F" word. Definitely not for the squeamish.

Sunday I woke up early again to go running with my gals MT and Daisy. We did the 15 mile loop at Solon. Made pretty good time. Much different than the wet and cold 15 miler a few weeks ago. The weather was great yesterday with a light breeze. Despite it being a road run I felt pretty good and yesterdays run took me over my yearly mileage from last year and also handed me my highest mileage week ever at 55. Headed home and weeded the front flower beds while listening to NPR then moved my day lillies from one bed to the other. Then I headed to the basement for some pilates (Ab focus) I have lost all this weight but haven't been as consistent at getting to yoga the past few months so I think my core strength has gone downhill.

Decided to sleep in this morning and now I am trying to decide what to do with my last day of vacation. I don't need to run much this week as Saturday is the Punxy 50K. It's much easier to hit high mileage when you run 31 miles in one shot :) My Nike Shoes should hopefully be arriving tomorrow so I can test out and calibrate the nike+ system at the track tomorrow. Should be interesting. I'm so used to just using my watch, I'm not sure what I'll do with all this new information :)

I feel like I have fallen so far behind on blogging so I guess this longish recap will suffice. I'm off to plan my Punxy 50K race strategy. Hope everyone has a great Labor Day!

Some pics from vacation in Albany


Heading out to dinner


Pool Time (First day this summer I finally broke out the swim suit!) I'm sure you couldn't tell by the blinding white skin.


Chesire Cat at Great Escape (The park used to be a fairytale park)


Dave and CP


LP and Hoebag

11 comments:

JenC said...

Sounds like a great vacation! I've missed you though.

Great running chica!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great vacation! Thanks for sharing your pics!

Janet Edwards said...

Looks like a great trip!!! Sunday's run was fun! You are certainly ready for Punxy!!!

Steve Stenzel said...

Sounds like a great get-away!! (Besides all of the "F-words!)

IHateToast said...

blinding white skin means no melanoma. shine on, live long, 'kini girl!

when are you going to get that there boyayors to run with you?

Soapin' Cindy said...

Good for you for sporting the melanoma free tanless look. Redheads gotta be big on sunscreen, you know. I enjoyed reading this post. Have a great 50K! So, you like The Stick? I have my kids roll out my legs with a rolling pin. I don't bake much these days, so at least it's getting some use.

Black Knight said...

Vacation, I love this word, it has something of magic....more or less like "retirement"....

psbowe said...

I'll say you had a nice getaway, great pics to prove it too. Good luck this weekend.

Rae said...

Sounds like a great vacation!! Welcome back and good luck at the 50k!

Unknown said...

I used to go to Cedar Point every summer! Wow... I haven't been back there in so, so, so long.

B Bop said...

Good Luck @ Punxy!!!