Fiesta on the Burning River

That's right kids this weekend is Cleveland's inaugural 100 mile race, the Burning River 100!

No I'm not running it but I will be spending a fair amount of time helping out. Last fall I was out and about with some of the race committee running on the trails that would be incorporated into the Burning River course. This fall I'll be manning the aid station at mile 91.3. It's been exciting to watch as this whole event got put together. I know there has been a lot of man hours put into this and I hope that the outcome shows it.

I've been doing my best to help out since I know so many volunteers have given their time to help me in all my races. Plus I just love the ultra community and this is a great way to see everyone out there this weekend! Even though at mile 91.3 they may not be up for a chat we'll get them full of some grub and on their way to the finish.

Since mile 91.3 is obviously so late in the event we will be out there all night! There for the first runners to come through around 6:30 PM and there for those cutting it close to the 30 hour cut off at 8:20 AM the next morning. We'll be stocked to the max with Gatorade, Heed, Water, ice, pb&j, soup, and other goodies that the race provides us. On top of that our specialty will be some fiesta style food like tortilla chips and perhaps some tortillas and fixings. We'll be close to stores so we may even be able to fill special requests if given a heads up and if the stores are open.

Many people are helping me out so that hopefully our aid station will be the best out there. I can't thank them enough. I'll be there all night and will get to rotate my time between my SERC pals, my CTC pals, some ultra pals, and my family. That's right I even conned the rents and my sis into helping!

Our theme will be Fiesta on the Burning River so we'll be blaring calliente style music all night and will be wearing sombreros and serving everything up with fiesta style flair. It should be a blast.

Last night I printed and laminated signs for all the aid stations and tonight I will be heading out to help mark the course with MT and RH. This event is definitely keeping everyone busy!

The race got a plug in the Plain Dealer and on the local WKSU station. Some of the facts in the article were a bit off. Fred Davis certainly is not your normal joe and the burning river may be his first 100 of the weekend, but it's certainly not his first ever :) But it's pretty exciting having such a big ultra event right here in Cleveland so we'll overlook the details ;)

Good luck to all those running this weekend! I am sure I'll miss someone here but special good luck to all first timers (Mike and Dawn!). Good luck to fellow bloggers Josh and Rob. Have fun pacing Kim! We'll see you all at mile 91.3! We'll be sure to save some salsa for you ;)

20 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

Have a good time out there! Call all the athletes "CRAZY" for me, because they are!!

Legs and Wings said...

I think it's great that there are longer races popping up all over...and good for you to be able to help out at the roots level.

I hope you're having a great summer.

The Salty One said...

Hey, there are people nuttier than you out there :) It's awesome of you to offer your support like that. I love the theme of your aid station. I think you could make sure the runners get enough salt by putting a little extra along the rim of their margarite glasses! Have fun out there!!

Brett S. said...

Ran on part of the course today.. Towpath near the station bridge and saw the signs up. It was cool to see the plates up and know what it's all about. Although I hope its a lot cooler than the 85 degree heat I was running in today. And I hope the runners are going a little slower than my pace at that point.
See you Saturday night. We could always have Virgin Margaritas....

psbowe said...

You'll probably get inspired so much that you'll sign up for next year! :)

But have a wonderful time and look forward to read about it.

Kim said...

MMM nacho chips at XXXX am!!!! I can do it!!!! Maybe a salty Margarita?? Nah, maybe not, there are still a bit of technical trails to get through after your aid station.
It's going to be a really FUN weekend!!!
See you at 91.3!!

JenC said...

It will be good times for sure! I think we all need to build a little good karma with volunteering. Matt and I are both looking forward to it! I'm going to try to find my maracas and I have a CD called "Margarita music". See you Sunday bright and early!!

Lucky number 7 said...

You go girl!! I admire your passion for volunteering. I love the fiesta style cheering!! Have a great time!!

Maria said...

Hey E! I'll be out there volunteering too but from the sound of it, I wish I was running it just so I could come along and hit your aid station-it sounds right up my ally!

Have a great weekend-I'm looking forward to experiencing a race from the "other" side of it ☺

Michele said...

Sounds like fun! It is wonderful that you are willing to give your time.

RunBubbaRun said...

Have fun out there, yeah those crazy UltraRunners.. Let me know if you ever decide to do it.. Sounds like a cool race to do one day...

Stay cool...

Unknown said...

Awesome! Will your signs be in Spanish?

Toasty said...

thanks on behalf of all those who appreciate your support but might not get to tell you

IHateToast said...

(catching up, short comments)

i'll be expecting photos of the 91.3-ers.

Papa Louie said...

You guys rocked. I can say, at least from the 65 mile aid station, 91.3 mile aid station was the best. It was sooo nice to see you guys out there. Thanks, for all your help.

B Bop said...

Howdy! Brandon here. Wanted to send you a comment from my quasi-anonymous blog. (how anonymous is it if I tell you who I am?) Anyways, you did an awesome job running the aid station. It was very well orginized and I had a great time...and now I am inspired :-)

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Oh wow!! I can't wait to hear how that went! I can SO see you running in that one day!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

By the way...do you have any desire to take your tri's a little longer in '08???? As in IMFL'08????!!!! I think Michele and I are going to take the plunge!

B Bop said...

If the coffee survived the rain and you, or your husband, drink coffee then it's all yours. If you don't give it to someone who might enjoy it. The beans were from Guatamala, roasted by Green Mountain roasters.....OG and fair trade :-)

Soapin' Cindy said...

Good idea about the Mexican theme. I heard there was a good time going on at your station!