If you're going...

So I let the cat slip out of the bag on Michelle's blog. I figure I better post the good news now before you do the detective work to find it out yourselves.

My ultra running pal rootsrunner recommended that I be a marathon pacer this year for the group that he has paced with for the past few years (and was Rookie pacer of the year for his first year with them). I got an email from the man in charge asking for some various information about myself a few months back and was told that I could possibly be pacing the Detroit marathon on October 21st.

So when I got an email last week asking if I had the 21st open I replied that I did as I was expecting to pace for him. He calls and we chat and he brings up the fact that my two most recent good marathon times were at Pig and Boston and that my ultras and trail hill experience will come in handy. In my mind I am thinking "Detroit doesn't have hills". But I assured him that I can definitely handle any hills thrown at me while pacing.

He then informs me they want me to be the 3:50 pacer at this years Nike Women's Marathon in San Fransisco! I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am. I will be all decked out in Nike Gear and will even get to try out their Nike+ software. Oh and did I mention I am going to San Fransisco! My last trip there was my senior year of college and I only got to see China town so I am really looking forward to seeing more of the city. Hopefully my expo duties will allow for some sightseeing time.

I'm nervous as it will be my first official pacing experience. Rootsrunner has already informed me I have to be rookie of the year, no pressure! But I am confident I can run a 3:50 pace comfortably even with the hills on the course. I'll be trying to do all my long runs that aren't trail at this pace so I get it engraved in my leg muscle memory. This also means I am going to bale on racing Towpath and going for 3:25. I don't want to risk not being recovered in time for my pacing duties (2 weeks later).

But! I am going to San Fransisco and it looks like this will be an awesome experience for me. Can't wait to get my Tiffany's necklace at the finish line! Hopefully I'll see some fun bloggers there and maybe I'll even get the honor of being your pacer!

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally fun!

Though I was disappointed that you're not doing Detroit - my home town. LOL!

Jessica DeLine said...

that's awesome!! I will be there running the half marathon with a friend... Congrats!

Backofpack said...

That is so cool! Just so you know, I won't be in your pace group - that would take a miracle. Even so, it's gonna be fun! What an honor to be asked to pace. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Esperanza! So happy for you! That sounds like an awesome opportunity and you have the attitude and drive for the job. So proud of you!
Monica

Toasty said...

you'll be great, might have to find a dress so I can come too!

Don't worry about managing the pace you will be surprised at how comfortable it will be for you. You have my vote for Rookie Pacer of the Year.

Brett S. said...

Have a great time in CA. I love the city and usually end up there or San Jose about every 8 weeks with my travel. Pace away

Janet Edwards said...

Like I said before, that is fo freiking awesome.

Your group is going to be soooo lucky to have you!!!

Kate said...

That is so cool! I'll be shooting for 3:50 next time round- wish I had someone like you to pace me for it!

Anonymous said...

are you going to tell them you don't really want the necklace, but an egg of silly putty would be ideal?

how cool! we won't be there, but some day we'll do the same marathon again (cols 2005).

sniff. some day.

Running 2 Mohican said...

Cool experience you will have! Congrats!

Lloyd said...

Awesome!!

Just train for a marathon like you normally do, then you get to run the marathon at easy long run pace. Its a blast!

And oh, it wouldn't hurt to do a hill run at Hinckley.

Have fun.

Papa Louie said...

Hey, how do I get in on pacing? Sounds like the kind of fun I'm looking for.
You're going to have a blast.

Anonymous said...

Atta way E!! You'll have a blast, and live to break 3:25 another day!

Kim said...

oh my goodness, how so very exciting!!!!!!!! congratulations! that's gonna be a blast!

Quinto Sol said...

San Francisco... man do I love to run in that City... You'll love the first half. Not so much the second half... Make sure you allow some time in your pacing for the oxygen aid station; it's California, you know? :o)

I am sure the Tiffany necklace will be a nice change, something you can actually wear...

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great race to be a pacer at. Very cool that you will be able to meet up with Michelle and others.

Anne said...

How exciting! Not only a great gig, but a great city to do it in. I've had friends who've pace officially. Be sure to let your followers know upfront if you're running even splits, negative splits, and if you're running by the official clock or watch time. I suspect that the 3:50 corral will be close to the start. Now remember, don't overdo it at the chocolate stop!

Well, I am very excited for you.

Rae said...

Ooooh, how awesome!! That sounds like a BLAST!

Fe-lady said...

Very cool! You will have a blast I am sure!

The Salty One said...

Hey E! How cool!! That is a great event. I was in SF last year and watched a bit of it. Beautiful course. The finish is along the ocean! Can't beat that!! And SF is so much more than Chinatown. Mmmm. Taquerias! Goldengate Park! North Beach! You are going to have the time of your life. Yeah for you!

Unknown said...

You'll have a blast and be a fantastic pacer. I'm a Bay Area native. You'll love it. But it gets really chilly off the bay. Bring appropriate clothing. SF is NorCal...it does actually get cold. :)

Michele said...

How cool.
You will be a great pacer.
SF was on our list for '08 but things have shifted a bit.

Anonymous said...

awesome, liz. congrats!

Kim said...

That is so cool!!! And a great pace time- that's a BQ time for a bnuch of folks!! Wow, that would be fun!!!

Dream Chaser said...

I'm not going, even to see all the women, but congratulations. That kicks!