Just one more week


Shortly before the 2-mile mark at last weeks 5K (Thanks for the pic B!)

Last night was the third and last race in the NERC series. My goal going in was to shoot for 20:20 and try to win the race depending on who showed up.

I arrived way later than intended due to a "fire drill" at work (not an actual fire, thankfully). Solar Squirrel kindly stopped at Kohl's to pick me up some running socks as I had forgotten those in my morning rush. I presented for work again Monday in Kansas City and was a bit out of it after not arriving home until after midnight Monday night.

I was super late, still hadn't changed, but I did manage to suck down a gel at 5:50 again on the car ride to the race. Not my ideal pre race scenario. I squeezed in a brief 7 minute warm up consisting of jogging around the parking lot, signing up, and changing socks then heading to the start line with AP and Solar. I wanted to show Solar the metal stakes that we had to navigate and looked to my right as we passed all the people lined at the start and muttered something like "oh great" as I recognized the female who had won the Flag Day 5K in 17:02. Hmm yeah not really going to be going for the win with her there. I wonder what she is training for that she would be out at a small race like this on a muggy wet night. Salty had wisely decided racing the 5k in mud and slop wasn't in her best interest. We missed having her there but hopefully her track attempt went well!

So with a briefer than anticipated warm up we lined up towards the front left again and we were off. AP jumped ahead of me this time and I just tried to keep my pace even and not let him get too far ahead. I told him my goal was 6:26 pace. Definitely wouldn't break 20 unless we went for it and since I knew I wasn't racing to win I might as well lay it out and see what I came up with. The race wasn't quite as crowded as last week but I was still dodging high schoolers left and right. I passed the girl I was pretty sure won the race last week and figured my pacing must be pretty good as she ran 20:22 last week. I felt pretty strong and finally broke away from the pack and had room to breathe as we closed in on the first mile. And I heard 5:50 something. Shit I am not supposed to be this close to 6 flat. Nothing I could do about it as I crossed my split was 6:07 and I gritted my teeth and did my best to keep AP in my sights still.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the 6:07 bit me in the ass so I did my best to hold on and run strong. I knew that I needed to cross the 2-mile by 12:52 to have any hopes of breaking 20. I kept even with a few high school boys and as we came out of the woods heard "2nd female." Once again wasn't sure if that made me happy or not. I knew that meant I had to push so as not to lose my place. We passed an older gentleman who they had start early. He is 83 and has run something like 2000 races in his time. I told him good job and the kid next to me asked "Him or me?" I replied "Well both of you" at our pace I guess he didn't hear me and he replied "What was that?" and I told him "That man is 83!" then I let him push ahead. Talking was not going to work last night. We came through the second mile at 12:52. I knew it was a stretch that we would break 20 because I would have to pick up the next mile from the 6:44 I just ran to a 6:26. Not likely as the boardwalks were all damp and slippery and that damn hill was waiting for me at the finish.

But I tucked in and pushed the downs. Almost bit it on the boardwalk and opted to jump off and run through the mud puddles instead. Definitely lost speed here but better than slipping and falling. I kept pushing all the way to the bottom of the hill. I knew the girl who won last week was on my tail as I had heard cries of "go Liz" all along the course from people that weren't talking to me. AP was behind me but calling out that I needed to push. He passed me coming up the hill and urged me on. Despite this being my third week on the course I still have a hard time knowing how much is left until I hit the 3-mile marker. I got peeved as a man told me "19 even" thinking that maybe he was the 3 mile marker and then passing the marker 30 seconds later. When he said 19 even I thought I had a chance to break 20 but I wasn't quite there yet and did my best to pick it up when I finally did hit the 3 mile marker with a 6:47 and finished the last .1 in 38 seconds about 3 seconds ahead of the girl who had won last week. AP definitely helped me up the hill again. Glad I pushed it enough to not get caught.

My effort was good enough for 2nd female overall and 20:17 (watch time). I'd have to look but I believe that's my second fastest 5k ever. Now if they'd just have one more race next week I know I'd break 20 and win ;) I took 4th female in the first week, 3rd last week, and 2nd last night. All 3 races I managed to place 1st in my age group, which is nice.

I knew the course wouldn't be fast last night and the slippery boardwalks definitely slow you down so I am pretty happy with the results. I need to work on going out a bit more conservative obviously because 6:07, 6:44, 6:47 is not the ideal way to run a race, but I think that third mile is deceiving. I do feel like I ran it stronger this week despite it being 4 seconds slower. I just think the dry course last week made it a lot easier.

Unfortunately I don't have another week to give the 5k PR a go as I need to get ready for the Punxy 50K on September 8th and the North Country Trail Marathon the weekend after that. My legs were extremely tight after last night’s race so I think I need to give them a break from the all out 5K efforts and get back on the track. I am happy with the results from the past three weeks. I know if I went to a road race 5K I could break 20 at my current fitness level, I'll just have to be content with that until I get the opportunity to actually get out and do it. I liked this format of having the race three weeks in a row. I think 5Ks are much easier if you are doing them once a week. Randomly throwing in a 5K during marathon training is much tougher than focusing directly on the 5K distance, I think that's why it is easier for high school studs to crank out good times. They are racing at least one 5k every week and their mind and body is more used to the all out effort of a 5k.

12 comments:

Kim said...

DANG LADY, YOU FAST :)
congratulations on a fantastic race!

The Salty One said...

Awesome!! That is definitely equivalent to a sub-20 road race performance!

I actually didn't do the time trial. Coach advised against it, so I just did a boring old workout. Wish the weather had been better--that race is always fun! Oh well.

But back to the important stuff--nice job!! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you told me about this series. I had a lot of fun doing the races with you. We would have gotten the sub 20 but given the conditions it's better we stayed safe so we're intact for the longer stuff we've got coming up.

JenC said...

Congrats speedy one! Hope I get to see you tonight!

Unknown said...

great race... You speedster! Very zippy!

GP said...

It's too bad there isn't one more race because it sounds like you're on your way to truly run for the cycle! Great race!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Elizabeth!

We keep following your progress and are so glad you keep blogging so Dad and I don't miss out on all your accomplishments.

How about this perspective....even though you finished second last night, you beat the runners that were actually at the past two races, AND you met your goal time, so mission accomplished.

Have a great time in New York.

admin said...

Hi there>! You are definitly ready now for a sub 20min-finish ! Congrats!

Quinto Sol said...

Cool picture!!! and better race... that first mile definitely cost you the sub 20.

Rae said...

Way to go!! With cooler fall temps and roads I bet you will get that PR!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

You would definitely break 20 in better conditions. I am so impressed - way to gut it out and hold on to 2nd place! And you look great in that picture, by the way!!

Good luck this weekend...I'll be waiting on the report!

IHateToast said...

i want your legs.