Event Horizon

"A spatial boundary around a black hole inside which gravity is strong enough to prevent all matter and radiation from escaping."

I was listening to "Says You!" this morning on my way home from my rainy long run and one of the questions was to define Event Horizon. In laymens terms it was the point/time at which matter can no longer escape a black hole.

After a huge year of racing mileage last year I swore to myself that I would back it off this year. Focus on one fast marathon and a few 5ks. Hah. I think I may have been sucked in.

I've already got one 5k, two 5 milers, two half marathons, 2 marathons, and a 50K under my 2007 belt.

On tap we've got the Great Midwest Relay next weekend, my anchor legs will tally 19.6 miles.

Next after that a 5k as promised on Flag Day.

Then Buckeye 50k in July. Followed the next week by a 4 mile night race.

After that it's the North Country Trail Marathon in September.

Edit you can add another trail marathon in September to the mix now after NCTM (Solar Squirrel has a date conflict with NCTM, but I am already signed up so I will be heading north by myself, unless Mouse can make it!)

Then towpath or Columbus Marathon in October, I owe a friend a BQ paced race so I may be running with her here, but would like to chase after the 3:25.

Next is most likely the Detroit Marathon pacing around 4 hours. Then if I don't race towpath likely an attempt at 3:25 at Richmond.

All of this while I am trying to up my weekly mileage.

I have two plans to get up to consistently running 50-60 miles a week. (Currently I average 30 but have some cross training mileage to back it up) One gets me there in a few months, the other by December. I am going to see how my body responds to the quicker (but still gradual) increase and if I get worn out or tired I will go with the back up plan that includes more back off weeks. Both plans stick to the 10% rule.

So that's what's on the horizon. It 's going to be an interesting year! Hopefully lots of trail running, lots of mileage. And hopefully I will be able to throw in a few tri's too on the way.

11 comments:

Backofpack said...

Nice schedule with a nice mix of events. Don't know how you are going to squeeze tris in!

Dream Chaser said...

That's a lot of racing mileage! No need for us to stage an intervention, though. You've trained responsibly, have remained relatively injury free for a while, and have kept other facets to your life.

Can't wait to see the future race reports - go, girl!

Anonymous said...

oh my!

RunBubbaRun said...

Sounds like a busy year.. Cool, at least one 50k ultra on the schedule.

I need your secret, running that fast with only 30 miles a week.. I need a 3:20 BQ pacer as well..

Have fun with the rest of the year..

JenC said...

You are a machine! If anyone can handle all that mileage, it is you. Will miss you this week.

JenC said...

Oh, and have a great time this weekend!

The Salty One said...

I think you will be amazed at how much you improve if you get your mileage consistently in the 50-60 mpw range! You can easily get a 3:25 (I'd say even sub 3:20) in the fall with your marathoning experience if you can do that kind of mileage all summer.

(some unsolicited advice on upping mileage quickly: keep the slow days really slow and limit intensity until you're used to the volume. You will get so much better running a lot of easy miles than running a few fast short ones!)

Good Luck! Maybe I'll see you at the Flag Day 5k.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Wow - that's some serious racing! No doubt you will get that 3:25!

Anonymous said...

Your goals are very ambitious, but with your sense of dedication they are definitely achievable. Good luck and I can't wait to read about your progress!

Janet Edwards said...

So much for a light year! I just can not see you having a light year as you just enjoy getting out there and running long too much.

2007 looks to be quite promising for you!!!

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Looks like you are becoming the next Dean Karnazes.