Grateful

Every week at Yoga we start off with chanting and then we go around the room introducing ourselves and stating something that we are grateful for. Tonight will be my first Thursday in about 12 weeks I won't be at yoga as I will be partying with my running gals for Girl's Night Out but I wanted to take a few minutes and remember to be grateful.

This week I have really thought about how grateful I am to have such wonderful loving parents. It is easy sometimes to take that for granted as I realized that I haven't actually seen them since Christmas. Thankfully they are making a trip down to visit this weekend.

I have plenty of reasons to be grateful for my parents but as this is pretty much a running blog tonight I have focused on how lucky I am that my parents allowed me to follow my own path in life and never made me feel like I couldn't do something. Many women grow up feeling inferior to men and are forced to do "girly" things and choose "girly" hobbies. From a young age I was cycling, golfing, bowling, hiking, you name it. If I wanted to do it I got to do it. They even let me try some feminine venues too, including Ballet (which I was horrible at and they luckily let me quit after my first recital).

So today I just wanted to take a few minutes and focus on how lucky I am that my parents encouraged me to pursue my own path. How my mom and dad always included me in their own pursuits and how I never grew up knowing that certain hobbies were "just for the boys."

Thanks Mom and Dad! I love you!

8 comments:

Anne said...

I, too, quit ballet after the first recital! I hated it. Glad to know I'm in good company! :)

Kim said...

My usual grateful thought was that I am healthy enough, and not injured, to be able to do this sport that I love.
Growing up, I wasn't that athletic, but I really never thought in terms of male vs female, in what I was capable of doing. I've been a feminist since about age 6. But I have always thought in terms of "me" and I always knew what I was capable of doing, confidently, gender be damned.

D said...

What a nice post!

Linus said...

They sounds like great people :)

Backofpack said...

I hope your Mom and Dad read this - it's a wonderful compliment to them.

Dubs said...

AWESOME!!

Bolder said...

what a great post!

A. M. Mericsko said...

I like this post! Nice piece of writing, Liz!