Pool Time

So I made my fourth trip to the pool since joining the gym mid October yesterday morning. It has been nice to finally add in some cross training. I might be a triathlete yet some day ;) Oh wait that involves getting back on the bike...

I've mostly been goofing off and just getting in some laps and drills. Yesterday I finally got my ass in gear and did a short interval set. I ended up with 1400 meters and was really pleased with my effort on the set of 7*100. I've never done my workouts in meters so I can't compare to my yard splits but I don't think I have lost too much this summer and fall.

Warm Up:
200 free
200 pull
100 kick
50 catch up drill
50 slow arm recovery drill

Main Set
7*100 on a 2 minute send off (1:48, 1:49, 1:48, 1:48, 1:46, 1:44, 1:40)

Cool Down
100 Free

I decided the set on the fly. I wanted a 30 minute work out so I just did as many 100s as I could until time was up. I was aiming for steady effort, not too hard and only pushed it on the last 100, I was very pleased with the workout. It was a great way to start the day!

Finished the day with a 6 mile run in what looked like it was going to be miserable weather. We're talking all your running buds calling you to see if you are still going weather. But when we arrived the wind and hail died down and other than being a bit slick and extremely dark the weather was pretty good. It will be hard to settle for four easy miles next week at this run as I am really starting to enjoy my hilly paced efforts.

7 comments:

Janet Edwards said...

Wow, I can't believe you got in yor run last night...it was awful out while I was driving about that time!

Papa Louie said...

2 minute send off for 100's sounds like you haven't lost a thing. Good to be back in the pool and now you might have to hop on the trainer to complete your triathlon experience.
I wanted to update you with my updated blog address.
http://tripapalouie.blogspot.com/

Brian said...

I know there's still a triathlete under all that rough and tough ultra skin of yours : )

Kim said...

awesome sets lady!!! fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Wish I still had time to swim & run both in same day, those were the days! Used to feel so good when I got out of the pool. Great workout E! Look out JFK, here she comes!!

Anonymous said...

did you say 'hail'? you'd run in hail?

Soapin' Cindy said...

We should swim together sometime. I might be able to keep up with you in the pool...then we could go have sushi. I'm such a convert! Are you afraid of the bike, too? Or just don't like to ride?