Buckeye 50K


MT and I before the start

What a day!

Here's the quick and dirty (but still long!) report. (No time for editing as we are heading out, maybe I'll go back and revise later)

Started this one off early with a 4:20 AM wake up call and a trip to the gas station for ice and choc milk then to Walgreen's for bug spray and a snickers energy bar before heading down to Brecksville. Plenty of energy before the race and the weather was nippy. A perfect day for a 50k.

This was my 3rd 50K attempt and MT's first ultra. We have been hitting the trails hard the past 4 or 5 weeks in preparation. We know that trail backwards and forwards so I had a good idea of what I thought was a reasonable finish time for us. Our "A" goal was a conservative 6:15. My secret goal was sub 6 and I had hopes if we went out well we could do it. If I was running it on my own I would have aimed for 5:45 which I thought was a pretty good prediction for my current fitness.

Buckeye 50K is basically broken into 6 sections. Each section takes around 1 hour give or take. The first 6 miles are out from Brecksville to Snowville Road. Then you go about 5 miles from Snowville to the Boston Store in Peninsula on the towpath. Then it's out another 4 or so miles to Pine Lane. Then you turn around and go back. The sections from Boston to Pine Lane and Snowville to Boston are pretty even out and back but the first section from Brecksville to Snowville is a bit tougher on the way back. For us to the tune of 15 minutes in training. Each section has it's own challenges whether it is 88 stairs, multiple hills, or 1/2 mile of constant roots.

With all that in mind we set out at 7 AM to run 31 miles. We got out pretty quick and were running with my friend DM who I knew was ready to rock this course. We were behind WV so I figured our pace was okay. I was chatty Kathy for the first 20 miles or so, so the miles breezed by. The first 6 were comfortable and we didn't have to do much jockeying for position on the trail. I was pretty sure there were at least 4 women in front of us but wasn't sure if there were any unknowns out there we didn't know about. My other secret goal was for us to be top 5. At the start line I realized there were at least 4 potentials to beat us. But 50 K is a long race and MT and I have been running so well I kept this goal the entire race.

DM bit it early on the trail and I felt awful. I talk so much I just assume that everyone can stay upright and talk. After that she let us run ahead and we moved up to run with a small group of guys. We debated passing on a more technical section that we felt we were holding back on but we decided to stay put and start chatting this group up. Before you knew it we were coming to Snowville and I was shocked to see WV at the aid station. I told MT he was sure to be gunning for us as we headed up the stairs back onto the trail.

We huffed it up as I ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich quarter. Only to look up and see a photographer in the trees above us. I am sure that was a flattering photo ;)

We moved well through here chatting it up with a runner from Columbus doing his first 50k. He plans to do the 50 miler at North Country Trail Marathon in September. It will be fun to see him again and see how he does there. This was his first ultra and first real trail run. He did great. Suffered a bit at the end but managed to squeak out the sub 6!

I had to pee as we were nearing Boston Store so I told MT I would wait for her outside the johns and let my legs fly down the last downhill stretch before Boston. It felt nice to let go and really cruise. The aid station was actually before the restroom and the restroom was actually a bit off the trail so we lost some time there but got excited as we realized two female runners were in there and not too far ahead of us. I saw WV heading out to Pine Lane as I waited for MT.

We caught up to WV on one of the many uphills to Pine Lane. He warned us of the danger of going out too quick. We felt good though and we got him to tag along with us. I assured him we have been running really well on the trails and the pace was a good one for us. Shortly after I was sprawled out flat across my stomach. I was actually shocked how far I skidded. Other than some scratches I was fine. A bit shocked when I went to take a sip of my water and instead got dirt, but otherwise fine.

There was a female right on our tail for quite a ways through here. As we hit the rooty section Pine Lane is named for we were in awe to see Mark Godale come barreling through. He was absolutely cruising. Shortly after a runner I didn't know came through and then Kam Lee came through asking how far back he was. Kam has won this race many times but Mark held the current course record. They all looked great to me and we now had the pleasure of cheering for the lead runners as they made their way back out and we kept on our way to the Pine Lane aid station. Each time we would cheer I would realize how close the girl was behind us. We caught another female runner through here who apparently has a twin. Her twin was still ahead of us and WV informed us he thought we probably had 8 girls ahead of us. I was dismayed to hear this but it just spurred me on (This may have been his intention). As we neared Pine Lane WV pulled away from us and beat us into the aid station.

I had my water bottle filled tossed my shirt to Wild Bill's wife and grabbed a P&B quarter and a few chips then we headed back out. We were well ahead of the time I thought we would get to Pine Lane. I was starting to get excited. We still felt great and I still had at least 20 minutes before I would be in danger of hitting my usual downtime in a run. I didn't get a chance to eat my food for quite a ways as MT tackled any small hills with ease but I finally scarfed it all down. It felt like our pace was a bit slower but we held onto WV and made our way to Pine Lane. We started seeing all the runners behind us and I got a huge boost cheering everyone on. It is so exciting to see all your friends out there. And even better when you are doing so well and they all tell you that you are looking great :)

We saw Brett, Chef Bill, Sensationally Red, and Maria as well as Wild Bill and tons of my other ultra buddies from JFK and other runs. At this point we knew we were actually the 4th and 5th women. With just Connie Gardner, Kim Martin, and the twin ahead of us. I was super stoked and thought as long as we kept moving forward we could hold our place for the day.

I high tailed it down the hill into Boston ready to hit the restroom again. I didn't have to go but figured this was the last chance for a long while. We ran into the restroom and found the twin who was ahead of us. The stalls were full and a woman stated very loudly she was in line. It just kills me waiting in line for the restroom in the middle of a race. We lost 3 minutes here. It could have been worse but in the meantime WV had blown by us and the twin was out the course ahead of us.

We headed out to the aid station. As we neared the road we went to turn left into the aid station. I watched ahead of me as an older male cyclist headed towards the middle of the towpath and a pole placed in the middle of the path. He reached out to grab the pole that went head over heels over his bike cracking the back of his helmet hard on the trail. I was so stunned. I leaned down to ask if he was all right as a volunteer shouted at me to get moving they would handle this. We filled our bottles and grabbed some gummy bears as we listened for the man to confirm he was okay. (I found out later that after resting he was off and biking again. So thankfully we did not kill an old man on a bike during our race today) With the 3 minutes lost we still came through here only 3 minutes slower than what we had run on the way out.

MT was looking strong and she pulled me up the hills through here as we passed our friend Tom who was having some cramping issues. MT just does a great job on the uphills and definitely had me running more hills that I would have on my own accord. We made it safely over the creek crossing and headed up to a section of road. It was then we realized how windy it was today! We were heading uphill and for the first time of the day I pulled MT up the hill straight into a fierce headwind. We saw a male runner ahead who looked back. In my mind I thought "we've got him." Once they look back their yours as Roy likes to say. Sure enough we passed him not too much later. As we neared the trail for Blue Hen Falls a friendly hiker told us we were just behind the 3rd female and if we looked up the hill we would be able to see her. And sure enough there she was.

We made our way uphill as a young male runner came by us. This was a training run for him to set him up for the Burning River 100 miler. He looked strong and passed us with ease as we caught up to the third female. We chatted with her a bit. She had come in 3rd last year here but she was having a rough day. Stomach troubles and IT band issues. We wished her luck as we pushed forward.

I couldn't believe how well we were doing. I started to feel a bit tired here. My lower back was killing me and my stomach was sour. But I told myself it could be much worse and I had less than 2 hours to go. 2 hours on the trails is nothing for me so I knew I would endure. I needed to stay tough for MT. I knew I was her pacer and I didn't want to let her down for her first 50K. We caught our friend from Columbus and pulled him along a short way before he hit a root and had to pull back.

We reached Snowville quickly, I was surprised to see, despite not feeling so hot, that we had actually come pretty close to our earlier time. I was stoked as I grabbed some more gummy bears and got my water bottle filled. I got ready to head out and turned to check on MT only to see DM cruising into the aid station. Shit! She looked good! I knew this might happen. So I got my ass in gear and started moving. The gummy bears and cold water gave me my second wind and I pushed MT and I forward as we caught up to WV and let him know DM was on our tails. DM caught us and proceeded to blow by us going uphill. She looked great and I knew MT wasn't in the mood to go after her. We marched up the hill and watched as DM cruised away.

I started to feel really good here. My back was still incredibly sore but my legs felt awesome. I did my best to keep our group moving but held back on the pace as I could tell MT wasn't feeling it. She hadn't complained once all morning but she said she couldn't move much faster and I believed her. For the first time all day her face had pain in it and not contentment. I would run ahead and try to will WV and MT forward. Figuring I would be a tempting bunny to chase! I would ease the pace at the bottom of hills to let them catch up. As we made our way to the final stretch from Ottawa Point in I even ran uphill to encourage MT along. After that MT got her legs back and we pulled away from WV. We knew we had less than 30 minutes to go and the trail widens to bridle path here so we could move. We got passed by one male runner here. He must have been feeling pretty good because I thought our pace was really strong.

I couldn't calculate exactly how much time we had left so I kept telling MT less than 20 minutes. Once I started to recognize landmarks like the short stairs and the little bridge near Brecksville I got excited. We were far ahead of pace. MG was back out on the trail and I asked if he had won. He had come in 2nd one minute behind Kam. We trucked forward and saw SH who had informed me at the bagel shop last week that he didn't think MT and I could break 6:15 for her first 50K. At this point 6:15 was laughable. I commented to him something around the lines of "Take your 6:15 and shove it" :) I had used his comments to help MT spur herself on at the end. As we came to the final paved stretch we both found our legs and hammered in to tie for 4th women overall. (SH had a great race at 4:50 ish)

Final time 5:26. 49 minutes ahead of our "A" goal. And 19 minutes ahead of what would have been my personal "A" goal. In short we rocked it.

As soon as we finished my legs and back revolted. It was so painful. I thought shit what have I done? But luckily after some cold chocolate milk, a frappacino, and some cheering and lounging around, the soreness subsided.

I actually feel perky. I ran up the stairs when I got home to see my husband. I am so excited! Now if this energy can just last through our late night dinner! I scarfed down some ribs and chicken noodle soup after a soak in the cold tub (Kim guilted me into it!) and a nice shower.

It was so great to see all our friends out on the course today. Everyone did so well. For those of you that had to pull out. You'll get your redemption soon! You were smart and I am very proud of you. Thank you so much to all that volunteered today! The race wouldn't be half as good without you.

I am so proud of MT! Now if I can just keep her thinking that I am better than her that would be nice so she doesn't kick my ass next race. ;) 5:26 as her 50 k debut, at Buckeye nonetheless, about 4 weeks after deciding to do the race, that's just damn impressive.

Stats:

Brecksville to Snowville ~6 miles: 58:11
Snowville to Boston ~5-5.5 miles: 53:10
Boston to Pine Lane ~4 miles: 42:46
Pine Lane to Boston: 45:04 (42 without the restroom stop)
Boston to Snowville: 57:04
Snowville to Brecksville: 1:10

Unofficial (Watch) Time: 5:26:58

Unofficial Results. Thanks Lloyd!


We did it! Post 50 K.

Other Blogs you should check out for Buckeye Fun: Brett, Red, Maria, Josh, Kim, Bill, Rob

28 comments:

Josh said...

WOW! you guys did so freakin' awesome!!! You were so darn fast!
Congrats to both of you!
It was nice to meet you E-speed!

Lloyd said...

Incredible. You and Melissa smoked it today! Heck, most everyone did. Congrats to all!

I posted the results on my blog.

Fe-lady said...

Buckeyes ROCK! YOU Rock! I would have been there cheering you on if I were back in Ohio....and yes, you DID rock the course! Yeah!

Anonymous said...

I had my water bottle filled tossed my shirt to Wild Bill's wife and grabbed a P&B quarter and a few chips then we head back out.
it's like you're a rockstar! throwing your shirt to fans, snarfing up pb sammies... winking to your fans.

nice job on those times. your report made it sound like a great time. reading made my tushy hurt, though. now, go have some chocolate milk and make the manboy knead those buns!

Quinto Sol said...

Awesome job... exceeding your expectations... priceless!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, do you rock or what!? Glad to hear that things went so well in my old neck of the woods. You guys visiting RB anytime soon? I'm always up for a get together down there.
-Adele

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this report as you take the perspective of an experienced ultra runner tackling this course for time! You would have been aghast at how I lollygagged through those aid stations. I wanted to pull up a chair and have a sit down dinner! You are just amazing...a real inspiration to me. I like how supportive the ultra-running community is. No matter what the pace, everyone seems to respect just how tough this is. We are all battling something out there. I would love to do another one sometime, so I plan to keep some trailrunning in my running regime. I love road running too.

Sensationally Red

JenC said...

Holy crap! What a great performance from both of you! You've been running so strong and you deserve this buddy. Great job!

Kate said...

You guys ROCK! Great work pacing MT- she must be stoked!

Kim said...

Wow. Even though I knew the results this was reading on the edge of my seat.
You guys ROCKED!!!!!! Awesome sweet time!!!!! Please tell Melissa congretas again on her ULTRA DEBUT!!!!!!!

Charlie said...

congratulations. That is one hell of a great performance.

Toasty said...

Awesome!!!!

You really smoked those trials and made it sound like so much fun. Everyone is going to want to run with you now, not that they didn't want to before this.

Maria said...

Wow E! You and MT did amazing! I'm so impressed by how well and how fast you both run.

Thank you for sticking around to cheer us all on at the finish line-it meant more than I think you'll ever know!

Janet Edwards said...

You two did fantastic!!! I am so in awe of both of you!!! I give you a ton of credit for inspiring and pushing MT through the race and MT just deserves crazy props for her ulta debut! You 2 rock!

Backofpack said...

Wow-wow-wow! That is an awesome time! And to come in ahead of your dream goal...just wow.

I hope your back feels okay today. Rest up - you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

That was AWESOME Elizabeth! I really enjoyed reading of your triumphant run with MT!!!!

I also loved the way you so succinctly broke the race into three sections, I never thought of it like that. Makes it very manageable.

Unknown said...

I need to make sure you check here for updates more often. I'm very late reading about your awesome race. You both rocked it. And it's obvious that running with MT was a boost for both of you. Way to urge eachother on!

psbowe said...

Nice recap, now i can't wait to do a 50K! Congrats on your new fantastic time too!

The Salty One said...

I ran on the towpath on Sunday and saw a little spray painted BT near Boston Store and thought of you. It sounds like you guys were awesome!! You ran great and had fun too! It almost makes running 31 miles sound like something I'd like to do--but just almost!!!

Good luck on Saturday!

Jessica DeLine said...

Congrats. Great job!!!

RunBubbaRun said...

Woohooo, great job out there. You rocked the trails, UltraGirl..

Ahhh, I wish I was out there also. Maybe one of these years I will head out your way for some trail racing fun...

Steve Stenzel said...

NOCE JOB!! You're nuts!~

Unknown said...

wow... congratulations on a great race!

I am seriously inspired.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

OMG - that is so awesome!! Congrats on completely smashing your goal, and your own personal goal! And congrats to MT - what an awesome time for a 50k...you guys are just amazing!

Ginger Breadman said...

Great post - that was fascinating to read. Great job and awesome time. I love chocolate milk. It does amazing wonders.

A. M. Mericsko said...

GREAT JOB!!! YOU GOT ER' DONE!!!

Rae said...

Awesome job!!! Congrats to both of you!

Brian said...

Awesome job! I felt as though I were there with you as I read this. One of these days I'll run a 50K. You're peaking my curiosity : )