CRIM

Didn't have a great race at CRIM last weekend. A multitude of things I did leading up to the race caused the result so I can't really be dissapointed. I was due for a bad race anyways. I would rather it be CRIM then Chicago or JFK.

I am not one for excuses so I don't think I need to go into all the details of stupid things I did leading to the race. But suffice it to say I didn't bring my A game. I did however give it my all and that's what made the result frustrating. When you run your ass off you expect good results, but running your ass off only gets good results when you bring your A game which involves a lot more than just running hard.

I did get to run with some cool people, Mouse and her roomie specifically. And I got to chat with some cool people after the race. I was dissapointed at the time that I didn't do what they had and just relaxed the pace and run for fun. But in hindsight I am glad I gave it my all even if it wasn't pretty.

The first two miles were great. Mouse and I were just chatting and running with the crowd. You really didn't have any other option. There was no weaving, if you lined up with the 8:30 pace like we did you were running 9 minute miles, no faster, no slower. After the second mile I picked up the pace and started to hit 8s. I managed to grab a beer shot at mile 4 which was fun! I was hoping for a few miles at the end around 7, but the closest I got was 7:50ish. The hills and humidity were too much for me that morning. I was just happy to finish.

The party after this race was freaking incredible. Definitely a race you want to take your whole crew too though, being by yourself wouldn't be as much fun. The beer and pizza afterwards were nice and I even saw J who I ran with at the Buckeye 50K afterwards! She did much better than me, thankfully!

That's all I've got for now, maybe I will fill in more post race details later. I am beat from my 20 miler this morning and my ITB is crying for some ice love.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you journey into adulthood it is difficult to apply as much training time and energy as you can imagine yourself doing. Otherthings also matter, and are hopefully just as rewarding.

ryan

Wes said...

As my Dad always says, you have to have some bad times to remind you of the good times, and why they are good! You are still an awesome athlete, and running for pizza and beer is good enough for me :-)

Jeff said...

I can relate, had a similar crash at the Bix 7. Wasn't nearly as prepared as I should have been, therefore left the A game at home. Recovered well for the next event as will you. Good Luck!

Lloyd said...

Sheesh. Didn't you just have a great half-IM just a couple weeks prior? And what about all the driving and lack of sleep?

I wouldn't be as disappointed as you. Had this been your goal 'A' race, then maybe. But it wasn't, so I'd take it in stride and look forward to the next one.

It's good to reflect back though. The experience is bound to help you through another tough race later on down the road.

Jodi said...

If we didn't have bad races the good ones wouldn't seem so great :)

I still think that it is awesome that they had beer shots on the run course. That may have to be a race I travel to next year!

sunshine said...

hey chica - great to meet you, too!

qcmier said...

We all have good days and bad races. You'll be fine.

Beer shots. MMmmmm...

Backofpack said...

Yeah, that happens sometimes. As you said, you gave it your best shot with what you had that day. And I like the way you slipped that 20 miler comment in at the end! Way to go!

Funny, my left ITB has been achy after all 10-18 mile runs, but on my 20 mile, hasn't bothered me at all. Now what's with that?

Toasty said...

Spicy Food, Not Drinking Enough Beforehand, Too Close to a Hard Session all things we know not to do ..... but I think we all make those mistakes