Week 13- Pig Training Run-Down

Quick Stats Check

Lots of Rest this week, looks like someone was ready for taper a week early!

Monday-Rest
Tuesday-Track 10*400
Wednesday-63 minute run easy-medium effort
Thursday- Rest (If Girls Night Out can really be considered rest)
Friday- Rest
Saturday- 20 miles (Plus half a day of car shopping! Where do I get all this energy from?)
Sunday- Rest (Big slacker here just did not want to drive the hour plus to me scheduled swim)

Tuesdays track workout went well. I was at or below my pace on every 400. The FIRST plan called for 400 rest between each but I cut that to 200. 400 rest for a 400 interval seemed excessive, especially when only doing 10. This worked out fine for me and got me off the track earlier. Almost all the quarters were at 1:29, a few at 1:30, one at 1:31, and the last at 1:26

Wednesday I headed out with Jen in the rain at NCR. I tried to get everyone on the trails but they were pretty sloppy so the majority of the run was on paved path. It was windy out and Jen had fartleks to do so we paced through 5*4 minutes at Jens zone 3/3 minute easy and took it easy the rest of the run. Nice little run for me. I'll miss these jaunts the next three weeks while I back off on any extra runs.

Thursday was GNO and I missed my tempo run. But wine and gossip were consumed and a good time was had by all.


This was hanging in the bathroom of the Dilly Deli, it made me laugh because I think this is what all the male SERC runners think GNO is all about.

Friday night my parents came into town so we went out for dinner, I got sliders yum! and we played Pinochle until I had to head to bed.

After about 4 hours of sleep I woke up and got ready for my last long run before pig. Drove in the dark to our starting place where my cell rang as I was pulling to see two little furry legs sticking out of a trash basket. Oops looks like I interrupted someones 5AM snack! Those raccoons are smart guys, had he not left those little legs stuffed out he would have got stuck in the can! The phone was Daisy asking where I was. We had a miscommunication on the start location so I directed her to where I was, hopping out of my car and using my headlamp to read the handy park map on the info station (making sure to give the raccoon plenty of space).

Shortly thereafter Daisy and her friend MT arrived and we headed off into the dark. I had my headlamp and Daisy had a handy flashlight. The sun didn't start to rise until we were about 4 miles in. Funny how in the dark the course seemed much flatter as on the way back I noticed hills that weren't there in the morning. We had some good conversation and I was super pleased to be done with 20 miles before most folks were out of bed.

I hurried home and got ready to go car shopping. My parents came along to help. Friends had been pushing the Mazda3 on us so we went and checked out the Mazda dealer. Took a test drive in a Mazda 3 5 door touring model with a few added perks. The price was much higher than I wanted but we figured test driving wouldn't hurt. Well several hours later we made a deal and got the car for payments just slightly higher than I budgeted for (with the help of a down payment from mom and dad, thanks so much!). It really does seem like a nice car and David seems very happy with it. When my focus goes in 3 years or so though I will be buying another Ford. One foreign made car per household seems like enough to me. Next time I think we will have a few more tricks up our sleeves to get an even better deal!

We headed home for some more gaming action and dinner before my parents had to head home.

Sunday morning came too quickly and I decided to sleep in instead of making the drive across Cleveland for my swim. Instead I ended up cleaning out my closet and getting rid of a bunch of t-shirts while watching Ray. Runner Susan would be so proud of my now organized and color coded wardrobe :)

So a little more rest and no cross training this week, but I still got in some good runs so I am not too worried. Now it is time to focus on my mental prep, fine tuning, and lots of stretching until the big show on May 6th!

4 comments:

Brian said...

17 days until the PIG! Almost time to start eyeing the 10-day weather forecast for the Cincinnati area : )

Toasty said...

the mental part of running can be the most fun .... find your inner kenyan

Rae said...

Congrats on taper time and the new car!!! You are gonna do AWESOME at the pig!

We need car pics!

Kim said...

Hey, Mike and I are also running the Pig!! But we are running for fun. We are planning on a 5 mile pre-race run ( just to make it an ultra) and then line up with the 5 hour folks so we can have fun and pass folks along the way.