Dropping Cash

But first (Ala Steven) last nights workout.

So even though I ate a regular 5-way chili and half the cheese fries I did manage to get in a run. It was super late but I just sucked it up and went out into the night. I had intentions of doing a track workout so my husband and I hopped in the car and headed over to the high school track. Well they have that place on serious lock down, so I guess I won't be doing any local track workouts in our new hood.

So that drive was a waste and we headed back to the house. I decided to get in a fartlek workout around the neighborhood. I didn't want to go too far because it was really late and I am in general not trusting of people out and about that late at night. So I stayed within a few miles of our place. I ran out several blocks then did hard up each street and easy back down each one until I got back to our place. Ended up being 8 sets of hard/easy (approximately 2:20/2:50, I added the main street curb to the next street as hard so that I wouldn't be spending quite as much time on the easy). Total mileage 5.8ish average pace 8:49.

When I started the run I noticed the skyline and thought to myself, when I was young that would have really bothered me, but I am older and tougher now and that is one of the major differences between me and that young runner, assuming that it wouldn't bother me much longer. Well it didn't hurt the run, but it definitely didn't help it. It was noticeable the whole way.

I felt good and I was loving the new shoes. The 3rd and 4th fartleks I felt stronger than the ones before so that is good. I am guessing each hard stretch was about .31 miles and each easy was about .27 give or take.

Now as you already know I went on a small shopping spree last weekend. Well our dryer has been on the fritz. My husband finally tried to fix it for me and replaced the igniter. The ex-owner said he had to replace that a few times and that was probably our problem, since the drum was running, we just weren't getting any heat. Well David calls me after picking up the part and replacing it to inform me that he replaced the part and turned the dryer on and that sparks came flying out and now the dryer won't work at all. (I know I said exploding appliances, well my husband said sparks, I heard exploding, you know how that goes)

So last night we decided to go dryer shopping. Before going I wanted to be sure this wasn't a problem we could fix easily ourselves. I did some Internet research and checked it out. Well David had blown a fuse when the dryer sparked so I flipped the breaker and the drum was working again. I turned the dryer off and on a few times and then I also got the spark effect. A little scary considering it is a gas dryer. (Light bulb went on at this point and I turned the gas line to the dryer off) The coils weren't lighting up at all except for that spark I got. I am not extremely handy so I gave up. We knew we wanted a new dryer soon anyways; we were just living with the current one because it came with the house.

So we met up at Sears and picked out a new Kenmore dryer. Nothing fancy, but it has a moisture sensor and a 7.0 cu ft drum. Plus they are going to install it with a new gas line and venting and haul away our old one. Pretty sweet.

After purchasing the dryer we headed over to Second Sole where I picked up my new Wave Riders and my husband got some running shoes to start working out with me. He stuck with Saucony. They look pretty sweet too, but not as cool as mine ;)

By the way I am only so excited about these shoes because normally I never worry about shoe style. I get what fits and what feels good and usually they aren't cute at all. So I am super geeked that these new shoes actually look a bit trendy and they go with all my red Boston gear! Score!

My husband and I are going to start walk/jogging together at least 3 times a week. This is a good way to spend some quality time and also keep in shape. I have made the decision that this is more important than my training and if I can't squeeze in both this will be my priority. I am trying to find some balance between my old psychotic workout schedule and a new one that will leave me more time for my other fave activities and my fave people.

Next on tap all about my other geeky hobbies I partook in last weekend!

11 comments:

:) said...

I can't stop looking at the cheese fries...

Congrats on the new dryer!

Bolder said...

dude -- enjoy those cheesy fries til you're 30. 'cause you're gonna get a rude awakening when your metabolism changes!

i think there should be a new motto in your household, 'those that cheesy frie together, run together!'

my favorite training is my LSD runs with Roman (we tell people we met through the internet -- we are secure in our manhood)... just building out those capillaries, building out that wide base foundation... you and hubby can do that together at a conversational pace and it will be quality time both ways!

Backofpack said...

I'm jealous of the new dryer. We bought ours in 1982. It has one temp left - hot. It's burned permanent wrinkles into all our running clothes. We've gone out and looked at them multiple times, but haven't done anything about it. I guess we're just waiting for it to give up! (The washer was also purchased in '82, had repairs once when the belt broke. The dryer has never needed repairs! We got our money's worth on those!)

A. M. Mericsko said...

you know you are officially old when you have to go appliance shopping.

RunDave said...

I can't stop looking at the cheese either. That is a shiteload of cheese. We don't get anything like that in Oz.

qcmier said...

Is that Skyline Chili?? Couldn't wait till the Chili Bowl 5K?

Toasty said...

I can relate to the run together .... we haven't too much of that but I really look forward to my pacing run with Katy .... cheezy fries is quality time too ... might not be quality food however.

Unknown said...

Your husband sounds like he fixes things as well as I do ... tinker, tinker, tinker, explosion, new item.

Steven said...

My wife & I recently plopped down some green on a new washer and dryer. Always fun.
Nice job on the consistency with your running.
And thanks for the shout-out!

Cliff said...

If it ain't exploding, it ain't broken :). I didn't realize dryers are gas powered. I thought they use electricity.

It is good that u are putting some hubby quality time. That's important....until u get him into tri as well..j/k :)

Rae said...

I can't believe you ran after eating all that! Great job!

You never know, you may turn your hubby into a lean, mean running machine! That's great that you're going to start working out together.